My computer keyboard is typing wrong symbols

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealBeast

Distinguished
It sounds like your keyboard configuration has been changed, take a look at THIS to check the current layout and change it back. When you bring up the Region and Language box (intl.cpl in the Start button typing box) go under the Keyboards and Languages tab and hit the change keyboards button to see what is set.

Many laptops have a keyboard combination that will change the layout, you probably just accidentally hit that combination.

RealBeast

Distinguished

Sadly, the last time I saw this problem it was too much beer and my fingers were on the wrong keys, but that's another story entirely. :ouch:

jmccomb55

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
Virus? I was attempting to type my email address and, with my fingers on the home keys, the letters would not type correctly. About 15 seconds of fiddling and everything was fine. My first thought was a virus and I immediately stopped and googled the problem. Nothing of concern came up so I continued. Is there need for concern? Currently running a scan.

RealBeast

Distinguished
You should always have an up to date virus scanner running if you visit sites that are not completely trustworthy, but it is more likely that you inadvertently changed the keyboard setting as I said in my first post to the OP.

jmccomb55

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013

Thanks RealBeast. I'm think I'm sufficiently armoured-up, I've run ESET NOD32 for the last several years. Now MES and Malwarebytes are also in the arsenal. Nothing came of any of those scans so I imagine that your original diagnosis was the issue. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.