My computer says that it's connected to wifi but won't load a browser page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

amarcoe

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014
As I said in the title I cannot load a we page in a browser. It will just sit there with a blank screen. I have tried this on both of my browsers (chrome, and ie) and they both do the same thing. The weird part of this problem is that I can still listen to sings in spotify that I don't own and can view the steam and uplay stores. I have tried running antivirus scans with spybot (I transferred it from another computer) and Norton. No other computers in my house have this problem. I have an hp envy m6-1205dx running windows 8.1, I have automatic update turned on so I have the latest version of windows. Please help!!!

Danifilth

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
Check to see if your DNS settings are working if it automatically acquires IP and DNS. I usually add OpenDNS in my wireless router so the other computers that connect automatically uses open dns without setting it up. Right click on the connection you are using and click properties and double click on internet protocol version 4 and it should bring up a window. If both say obtain addresses automatically then go to command prompt and type ipconfig /all and look for DNS servers

Only use this openDNS number for testing to make sure its the problem

amarcoe

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014
Check to see if your DNS settings are working if it automatically acquires IP and DNS. I usually add OpenDNS in my wireless router so the other computers that connect automatically uses open dns without setting it up. Right click on the connection you are using and click properties and double click on internet protocol version 4 and it should bring up a window. If both say obtain addresses automatically then go to command prompt and type ipconfig /all and look for DNS servers

Only use this openDNS number for testing to make sure its the problem
Pick as the solution
Quoted 1 time.
Reply to Danifilth

First of thank you for the quick response it is much appreciated and sorry, I know very little about wifi issues, I'm much better with other computer stuff. What is an OpenDNS. When I entered the information into CMD it gave me what looked like and ip adress. I don't know what that would mean for me.

amarcoe

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014

Thanks you for the quick response, it just stays as a white screen with the loading circle in next to the tab. I tried opening a new tab and it opened the google page but that's it I can't load a website from there.

Alayne Smith

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014

ttoy17

Estimable
Aug 6, 2015

I do get an error message its saying it cant connect with proxy or to make sure my proxy setting are set correctly but i have no idea what to do.

Check your IP and DNS settings. If you're on a home network, they most likely need to be set to dynamic (or automatically obtained).

Control Panel - Network and Sharing Center - Change Adapter settings - right click on the adapter you're using (WiFi or LAN) and select "Properties." Once there, double click on "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)." Make sure "Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" are both selected.

If they're already set as that, you may have a virus (despite the scan you said you ran).

Meccah

Estimable
Oct 4, 2015

I have the same problem too, I have malware bytes downloaded on my laptop and I have done at least 8 scans on my computer for any type of virus but nothing comes up. I have also tried command prompt commands but those don't work either, I have a home connection so my connection is excellent and I have rebooted my modem but I still can't browse the Internet. My moms computer works just fine when connected but mine is still having problems. When I click on my browser it gives me a page saying "dns_probe_finished_no_internet" even though my modem is working properly and that my computer is connected to it.

Meccah

Estimable
Oct 4, 2015

Nope I can't even browse in that mode either

arditg

Estimable
Oct 19, 2015
Dude i i have the same problem but in my case i see the adress at the wifi in the right corner is 0.0.0.0 and status is authenticating. I have windows xp i go to network connections and clicked wireless connection then properties ,when i looked i dont have internet protocol 4 but just internet protocol (tcp/ip).
Helpp please

Mrbuleltfire

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016

I think I have fixed this!

Here is what I did:

- control panel
- network and Internet
- view network status and tasks
- change adapted settings (on the left side of the page)
- right click on your main wireless network connection
- click status
- click diagnose

This sorted it for me after saying that it fixed something to do with a gateway

Elisona

Estimable
Jan 21, 2016

Comaburr

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016

I couldn't find a way to private message you on here but I registered just to tell you thank you so much. I was tearing my hair out trying to figure this out. I have no idea how it would change its DNA settings.

Thank you again.

Y0orbs

Commendable
May 18, 2016

this helped me as I was missing network protocols

Starbright375

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016
I tried the change adapter and ran the above sequence diagnosis and it said there may be a problem, but offered no suggestion as to what to do. I ran Spybot Search and Destroy. Now running Avast scan.

ashokraonb

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016

Hi, I was trying to find solution to my problem, wherein my wifi device said that I have internet access but no webpage was loading. I came across your solution. I changing the DNS servers setting to the ones given by you and the webpages have started loading. Thanks a lot.

Dioulydcp

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016
Check this link for better explanation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H_lwyw1FLc&feature=youtu.be
Internet Access but Cannot Browse.

This video will guide you step by step on how to fix this.
We will Cover three(3) Options;

Option 1
Basic Troubleshooting.
a) Hardware (Cable)
b) Software Trouble Shooting
c) DNS and Proxy
e) Application

Option 2
CMD and Firewall

a) Renew your IP address
b) Reset your Network Adapter
c)Restore your FireWall

Option 3

Restore your computer to an earlier date.

Status
Not open for further replies.