My Dell Inspiron 15-5547 will not turn off- usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmike16

Honorable
Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 15-5547, and as the title states it will not completely shut down. I have tried a Reset (Windows 10), and it did not solve the issue.

My guess is what is causing this issue to happen is the new Samsung EVO SSD I installed around the same time this started happening. But why would this cause the problem? I'm in another country now- It is extremely hard to return these things. I have another laptop. I was giving this to my father- So I decided to make it nice and fast for him. Put in the SSD before we moved countries, put all his data on it, everything was good. Then when he started using it here, he keeps finding that it has no power left. This is why.

What happens is this: We turn it off normally, shutting it down completely (Not hibernate) and the backlights on the keyboard remain lit. We then have to hold the power button until it actually shuts down.

If we didn't know about this issue or forgot about it, this causes the laptop battery to die overnight, which can't be good for the battery. Occasionally, this does not happen. Sometimes it does turn off normally.

Any suggestions? Is this really because of the SSD?

Windows 10 Anniversary, 8 GB RAM, Intel Core i5 4th Generation, 500 GB Samsung EVO SSD

Thanks!

Solution
Check for a newer BIOS, chipset and power management driver for the system.

Make sure all programs are closed before shutting off the laptop. There may be a startup program that is running that prevents shutdown also, do you have anything running in the background aside from anti-virus?
Check for a newer BIOS, chipset and power management driver for the system.

Make sure all programs are closed before shutting off the laptop. There may be a startup program that is running that prevents shutdown also, do you have anything running in the background aside from anti-virus?

Solution

mrmike16

Honorable
I think it is a motherboard issue. I haven't used it much since they replaced the motherboard with this faulty one that has an older looking Dell boot screen (With a blue loading bar instead of a circle). Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

UPDATE: Soo I just sold a bunch of laptops that are the same model, all of which I did not think had any issues. 2 out of 3 of them are having the same exact shutdown problem. I found a BIOS update and thought it worked- Until it didn't. This is crazy. Maybe it is related to Windows 10's drivers for the system- When I used this laptop more often, back on Windows 8.1, it had trackpad and speaker issues (that they all still have on Windows 10), but not this. I'm going to try to revert to Windows 8.1 and see what happens. This is still a problem and we still don't even know the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.