my Dell XPS L502x screen flickers then goes blank

vairgirl

Estimable
Jun 17, 2014
My laptop- Dell XPS L502X -has started having screen issues. The screen flickers at first then goes blank for a random amount of time. It gets longer and longer as time progresses. I have run Dell diagnostics and updated the Intel graphics card drivers and the nvidia drivers. I have also run a long start up diagnostic. Everything has passed. I have had to hard boot it a couple of times because it never came back from blank. Each time it does go blank the sound still works perfectly. Any ideas?

Solution

Hi,
As the sound works fine even when the screen is blank, this looks to be an issue with the LCD. Can you please try connecting an external monitor when the screen goes blank and check if the display works on it.

Please send me...
It might be the NVidia chip. Sometimes excessive heat causes this (it happened on a Vostro very recently until the Vostro was cleaned out).

I'm not sure whether your system runs off of the Intel graphics or the NVidia graphics (depends on Optimus and design), but you can try cleaning the system out and checking the thermal compound on both.

ShridharAtDell

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

Hi,
As the sound works fine even when the screen is blank, this looks to be an issue with the LCD. Can you please try connecting an external monitor when the screen goes blank and check if the display works on it.

Please send me a private message with the system service tag and the result, I would be happy to check the warranty details and help you with the options available.

- ShridharAtDell

Solution