My display driver AMD keeps crashing and recovering since i updated my laptop to windows 10

nitishbansal88

Estimable
Oct 10, 2015
My display driver AMD keeps crashing and recovering since i updated my laptop to windows 10
i often get a 'Pop Up' which says 'Display Driver Stopped Responding but has now recovered'
some times the screen just goes black with only the cursor working, this often happens when i put my laptop to sleep and then turn it on, ultimately i have to press the power button to switch it off and then back on. i also received a blue screen with dpc watchdog violation 4-5 times now.
i tried updating the drivers. rolling them back, using the windows update , installing the amd 15.7.1 driver and now using the latest AMD Catalyst™ 15.9.1 Beta Driver. still the same thing is happening again and again.
HP 15-g012ax Notebook PC
2 GHz AMD Quad-Core A8-6410 APU with Radeon R5 Graphics
Video Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 8570M Graphics (2 GB DDR3 dedicated)
driver version-15.201.1151.1004

Solution
Hi,

Please do try to uninstall and reinstall the latest driver from AMD support site here's the steps you'll need to do.
- Go to Device Manager and right click on the AMD graphics driver and select uninstall.
- Download and install the latest driver from AMD support site.
- Here's the link: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
- Once installed reboot your laptop and observe it again but that should resolve the issue once and for all.
Hi,

Please do try to uninstall and reinstall the latest driver from AMD support site here's the steps you'll need to do.
- Go to Device Manager and right click on the AMD graphics driver and select uninstall.
- Download and install the latest driver from AMD support site.
- Here's the link: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
- Once installed reboot your laptop and observe it again but that should resolve the issue once and for all.

Solution

UKDemon

Estimable
May 17, 2014

I'm the same I got a R9 290x which worked perfect for a year on win 7 just upgraded to 10 and now every 5/10 mins the drivers crash. Iv uninstalled them 6 times and wiped amd off my system and fresh install yet nothing still crashes plus this is on the latest drivers. Sorry to say a lot of people are having the same issue best advice got back to 7 or 8 till this is fixed as no problems on them

Mark7777777

Commendable
Mar 31, 2016
This kept happening to me on youtube. Before you dive to deep into tearing your computer apart or panic. Try disabling any extensions you may have running. I was running " magic actions for youtube". After disabling it in manage extensions the AMD driver crash went away.

Robert_189

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016

Waiting for MS/ATI to resolve this problem is a dead bet.

It has been a full year since my laptop function with only on graphic card, the other one, a more powerful ATI, was crashing my laptop since the day i switched from a disastrous win 8 to a newly launched win 10.

Mannytato21

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016

Thank you so much for this answer! I had 5 months with this issue and couldn't find a solution, i would never think that Magic Actions was the culprit. Disabled it and the problem is gonne, thank you!!!

MC_2__

Commendable
May 11, 2016
I have the same issue. What I did was

1. go to bios settings,
a. disable usb3
b.setup password for users and supervisor as well as password for HDD

2. disable core parking

DStruct

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
Same here I have done absolutely everything to no success, the only thing I havent actually done is reverted back to Windows 7 but to be honest.... I literally just formatted, reinstalling Windows 10 and downloaded all my games again which took 3 whole days...... So you can imagine how I feel about wiping everything again

trabo

Estimable
Jul 11, 2015

Just curious, how did you come up with this process?

I had same issue as OP today. Installed update, screen black, cursor worked. Powered down, powered up and same.

Hit reset and now it seems to be fine but came here to see if anyone else had similar problems.

I'm trying to learn to be a better troubleshooter, so I'm interested in how you would have thought to do these steps.

Thanks all, as always.

matains

Commendable
Aug 13, 2016
I've been having this issue since buying the videocard (270x) both on win 7 and 10 and the only thing that partly helped was disabling hardware acceleration for chrome. It still keeps crashing but it seems rarer. I'll try to disable adblock since some people report disabling addons helped them.

Javeadschwab

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017
Hello I got the real solution to this problem, do a custom install and install all but the ....microsoft media foundation decoders....... I installed one by one abd tried video from webpage and videos from windows player and started with the basic drivers to have the aero glass image and after every new single instalation when I got to the .......microsoft media foundation decoders....... my computer started crashing, I uninstalled this feature and all is working perfectly!!!! THIS IS THE REAL SOLUTION TO THIS ISSUE, with the steps here it disable my aero glass and the resoltion was'nt more than 1024 768 and could not use aero glass option, it was not having these drivers installed. If some have it working correctly and fully with these steps good, if not this solution I found is the correct detection and elimination of the problem...

maximilian666666

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017
hello i got same problems i got asus r9 290 , i got a problem after install new driver , 17.1
i try to resolve it 3 days ... i read 300 pages of resolving this issue .(and its not easy, trying everything)
after load windows i got black screen after 10sek sometimes more , but always when i try offset or change gpu settings in msi afterburner! , its makes black screen always.
tooday i fix this problem and my gpu is working ! ! how :

1. uninstall all drivers , use ddu ( display driver uninstaller) use options : uninstall in safe mode
2. reboot pc
3. clean registery , delete amd files from c:amd
4.instal amd driver 15.7
5. restart pc
6. when windows is loaded i got some glitching (artefakts ,shapes the screen)
7. instal oc guru v 1.81 (OC_GURU II V1.81_B150326)
8. offset gpu in oc guru -80mghz core -200mghz ram and save profile( you can try maby it can by -20 / -100) but you need some dowclock

ps. bug with black screen can back when your windows install new update from internet in control panel / device menager / gpu/r9 200 series in information , driver date i got 2015-08-03 (black screen was got on driver from 2017 year windows instal this from amd 17.1)

if i will help you , you can donate me .

IBAN: PL
SWIFT: PKO PP LPW

r9 290 asus
gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 rev4.1
amd 9590
4x4gb ram
2x hdd
700watt fortron power supply

gammer.boy35

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
Uninstall Drivers from device manager & install them again with device manager.&
if you still got the issue then follow the steps below without uninstalling your current Amd Drivers.

1. Go to Device Manager and right click on the AMD graphics driver and select Update.

2. "Click on Browse My Computer For driver Software" & then click on "Let me pick from a list
of available drivers on my computer".

3. Now here you see "Amd Radeon" & "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter"

4. Select "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" & Click on "Next"

5. After install now restart you Computer.

6. Now After restart again Go to Device Manager and right click on the AMD graphics driver and select Update.

& "Click on Browse My Computer For driver Software" & then click on "Let me pick from a list

of available drivers on my computer".

7. Now here you see "Amd Radeon" & "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter"

8. Select "Amd Radeon" & Click on "Next"

9. After install now restart you Computer. and your problem will gone.
the problem came because of windows Update. also occur on my AMD HD 7770

totoramalho

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
dont use device manager
what you need to do is
The windows 10 have a policy to update automatically all the drivers, you need to disable this in gpedit.msc
this link will help
https://www.howtogeek.com/302595/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-updating-hardware-drivers/

Ok, windows will stop the auto update of amd drivers

download your vendors drivers (amd and intel drivers from your vendor) and the last stable builds drivers from amd and intel

download DDU
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

go to safe mode, execute ddu and unninstall the amd and intel drivers (you can do it in one run)

now its the important part
on the normal windows (like not in safe mode and stuff)
Install your vendor amd driver and restart (you have to restart, otherwise will bug the PCI SLOT or some stuff)
install the last amd stable driver and restart
install the vendor intel driver and restart
install the last stable intel driver and restart

if somehow the vendor intel driver bugs, just install the last intel driver

amd switchable graphics on windows 10 is realy a pain in the ass. good luck with your process