Question My dynamic microphone plays audio

Sep 28, 2018
Hi guys, today a friend of mine gave me a dynamic microphone (the SHURE SM58), but i don't have a external audio card, so for now i bought an XLR to 3.5mm jack cable to plug the mic in my laptop (a Lenovo Yoga 500) which has the usual input/output combined jack. I tried pluggin the mic to that jack but the laptop sees it as a speaker and magically my microphone does it! I can hear the audio output coming from the microphone! Is it normal that a microphone can play audio too? How do I make the pc see it as a microphone? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Ivy Yeh

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
Yes, because your mic is a transducer, just like a speaker. It has a magnet and a coil. Depending on your sound software settings, you may be able to change the spkr to mic, overriding the auto-select.

Last edited:

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
I don't know what software you have and your choices may be limited. On one of my PCs, I'm using onboard audio and there's no option to manually select inputs. On my other PC, I have a dedicated sound card/ headphone amp, where I am given more flexibility. Have you experimented with different jacks or microphones? Consult your manual for software instructions. Also. go to the mfr website and download the latest drivers for your audio, if you haven't already. Sometimes a fresh driver can help.