Question My Facebook Account was Hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefferywinkler

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
Hi,

My Facebook account was hacked. The hacker changed the password. When I tried to log on, the recovery email was an old hotmail email address that I have not used in many years. I do not remember the password to the hotmail account. When I tried to change the password, it asked me to list email addresses I contacted, and subject titles. I have not used that old hotmail account in many years, so of course I have no idea.

Let me show you what happens when I try to log onto Facebook. First, you have this.

Enter a Current or Old Password
To get back in to your account, enter your current password or an old password if you know it. If you don't think that your account was hacked, you can cancel this process.
The email address you entered isn't connected to an account. Find your account and log in.

When I click change password, you get this.

Find Your Account
You've indicated that your account has been hacked. To get back in to your account, please identify yourself. If you don't think that your account was hacked, you can cancel this process.

Please enter your email address or phone number to search for your account.

Reset Your Password
You've indicated that your account was hacked. We'll help you log in and secure your account. If you don't think that your account was hacked, you can cancel this process.
How do you want to receive the code to reset your password?
Send code via email
<<Removed by moderator>>

Jeffery Winkler
Facebook user
Not you?Continue
No longer have access to these?

When I click on "No longer have acccess to these?" I get this.

Try to log in again
If you no longer have access to your email account, you can try to log in again. After you've logged in, you can change the email address on your account.

Jeffery Winkler
Facebook user
Email address
<<Removed by moderator>>
Enter Password to Log InI cannot access my email account

If I enter the password, it just takes me back to sending a code to the email address that I can not access. If I click on "I cannot access my email account", I get this.

Account access not possible
Unfortunately, we're not able to give you access to the Facebook account that you're trying to log in to. This is because we can't confirm that it belongs to you. We may hide the information on your Facebook account if we detect that you cannot regain access to it.

Learn more about other ways to access your Facebook account

Done

This is my Facebook page, which is still up.

<<Removed by moderator>>

The email addresses that I used for Facebook are<<Removed by moderator>>

Instead of sending a confirmation email to any of those, it tries to send it to the following email address.

<<Removed by moderator>>

I have not used that in many years. When I searched for "hotmail", it turns out it was purchased by Microsoft. When I enter it, their website recognizes it, but when I enter all the passwords I can think of, it just says "incorrect password". When I try to change the password, it asks me to list people that I recently sent emails to, or subject titles. I have not used that email address in several years.

I first learned that my Facebook page was hacked, when I received the following emails in my <<Removed by moderator>>

Hi Jeffery It looks like someone tried to log into your account on March 30 at 2:33 AM using Edge (Chromium Based) on Windows 10 . Your account is safe; we just wanted to make sure it was you who tried to log in from somewhere new. If you don't think this was you, please log into Facebook so we can walk you through a few steps to keep your account safe. Thanks, The Facebook Team

Did you log into Facebook from somewhere new?

Hi Jeffery

It looks like someone tried to log into your account on March 30 at 2:33 AM using Edge (Chromium Based) on Windows 10. Your account is safe; we just wanted to make sure it was you who tried to log in from somewhere new.

If you don't think this was you, please log into Facebook so we can walk you through a few steps to keep your account safe.

Thanks,
The Facebook Team

Your Facebook Security Code

Hi Jeffery,

Your security code is:

<<Removed by moderator>>

To help us confirm your identity on Facebook, we need to verify your email address. Paste this code into your browser. It can only be used once.

If you didn't request a code, someone may be trying to access your account. To make sure your account is secure you can change your password.

Facebook

Hi Jeffery,
Your Facebook password was changed on Tuesday, March 30, 2021 at 2:49 AM (PDT).
IP address: <<Removed by moderator>>
Estimated location: <<Removed by moderator>>
If you did this, you can safely disregard this email.
If you didn't do this, please secure your account.

Thanks,
The Facebook Security Team

When I tried to "secure the account", I could not log on. I did not see these emails until after the password was changed. I wish I had seen these emails earlier. When I click on the link on the email saying someone changed my password, I get this.

Secure Your Account?
This action was performed by your account:
Password Change on Tuesday, March 30, 2021 at 2:49 AM
If you think someone else is logging into your account, we can help you secure it with a few security steps.
CancelSecure Account

When I click on "Secure Account", I get this.

Two-Factor Authentication Required
You’ve asked us to require a 6-digit login code when anyone tries to access your account from a new device or browser.
Enter the 6-digit code from your Code Generator or 3rd party app below.

Continue
Need another way to authenticate?

However, I never get any 6-digit code, When I click on "Need another way to authenticate", I get this.

Need another way to authenticate?
How to check Code Generator
  1. Open the Facebook app on your phone
  2. Tap More
  3. Scroll down and tap Code Generator under Help and Settings
Approve from another device
Just check your notifications in another browser or phone where you’re logged in.
Other options

On this website

<<Removed by moderator>>

it says this.

If the hacker has gone a little further with hacking your account, and your associated email cannot be accessed then you must take the following steps to recover it.

Click on the forgot password option.
Now let Facebook search your profile by entering your username or email address
Once you have been located by Facebook, click on your profile, a dialogue box will open to reset your password.
Click on “no longer have access to these” as you do not have access to your associated email address.
Then extended recovery options will be given and it depends on the age of the facebook account. Old facebook accounts have the option of Security question to recover their account.
New Facebook users can use the option of “trusted contacts” to regain access to their account. For doing so, enter the email address you have access to, and click on reveal my trusted contacts and enter the name of one of them. Facebook will provide a link that only your trusted contact can access. Ask them to click on the link and get the security code for you. Enter the security code to recover your account.

However, when I click on "no longer have access to these", it does not provide me with any other options. It does not provide me with a phone number. It does not offer me an option of "trusted contact". Can I have them contact someone on my friend's list? Can I have them let me email them a copy of my driver's license or passport? What can I do?

I tried sending them pictures of my driver;s license on this page.

Confirm Your Identity With Facebook
Before we can review your account, please fill out the form below to help us verify your identity.
Please attach a copy of your ID(s). Learn more about why we require ID verification and what types of ID we'll accept below.
Your ID(s)
Saved as JPEGs, if possible. You may attach up to 3 files.
<<Removed by moderator>>
We may encrypt and store your ID for up to one year to improve our automated systems for detecting fake IDs. We might use trusted service providers to help review your information. Your ID will be stored securely and will not be visible to anyone on Facebook.
If you don't want Facebook to use your ID to improve our automated systems for detecting fake IDs, you can adjust your Identity Confirmation Settings. If you turn this option off, the copy of your ID will be deleted within 30 days of submission or when you turned this option off.
Visit the Help Center to learn more about what happens to your ID after you send it to us.

However, when I click "Send", I get this.

Your Information Couldn’t Be Submitted

You can email me at <<Removed by moderator>> You can also give me your phone number, and I can call you.

Jeffery Winkler

Last edited by a moderator:
May 23, 2021
you should have enabled the 2fa! its very hard to get bypassed! however I think if you prove them that you own the profile with your pictures and identity you might be able to get it back!

Status
Not open for further replies.