My friends hear my game sound through the Mic

mightyhusky26

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017
I Have a Plantronics RIG400 Headset and whenever i talk to my friends they can hear my games, music, youtube, etc.. I actually bought this headset from my friend and when he used it to talk with me he didn't have this problem so that's on my end. Any idea what to do

Solution

CelicaGT

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
It's likely a setting in your chat app. Using Discord myself I check "Voice Activity" and adjust my mic sensitivity accordingly, I also have all the Opus settings enabled. Some headsets do have hardware controls as well that could override or interfere with the software settings.

mightyhusky26

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017

I Have all Opus settings enabled and Voice activity checked, what sensitivity should i change it to? Also the headset has hardware controls but just for mic mute and volume

CelicaGT

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013

Typically what I do is enter an empty chat channel and just blow into the mic until it just reads on the scale, then go from there. Right now mine is set about a third from the left fwiw.

mightyhusky26

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017

Ok, also i'm using a combined headphone/mic combo jack so is there a chance that it affects?

CelicaGT

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013

Yes there is, you may need an adapter. I use one to run my headset over PSN chat via my old Vita. It's a "Y" shaped deal with two female connectors for the headset mic and speakers, and a combo male plug that goes into the Vita. I power the headset via my tower usb port so it's kinda spaghetti down there lol, but it does work. I got it on Amazon fwiw.

Solution

mightyhusky26

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017

If i get a usb one will it be fine? Or i have to use a Y Adapter?

CelicaGT

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013

Honestly I don't know, I've never used the USB ones. If it's from a reputable brand and the cost is low try it? Mine was due to a specific need, some of the people in my FF14 raid group run on PS4 and preferred PSN chat over Discord. I've since converted them xD.

mightyhusky26

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017

Ha lol. Ok thanks