My hdmi cables are connected to tv and laptop but I only get a "no signal" on my tv

Solution
First on the PC set the TV as an extended display and set the resolution at the native resolution of the TV (720p or 1080p usually). Then you may have to switch the TV to a different input and back again to get the TV and PC to "handshake". This is the TV and PC detecting each other and sometimes the order in which they are turned on matters. The laptop detects the TV and turns on the 2nd display HDMI out but the TV may have stopped looking for it so you switch quickly so that the TV looks again.
First on the PC set the TV as an extended display and set the resolution at the native resolution of the TV (720p or 1080p usually). Then you may have to switch the TV to a different input and back again to get the TV and PC to "handshake". This is the TV and PC detecting each other and sometimes the order in which they are turned on matters. The laptop detects the TV and turns on the 2nd display HDMI out but the TV may have stopped looking for it so you switch quickly so that the TV looks again.

Solution