My HP laptop suddenly shuts down within an hour after it gets hot. I think my fan is not working properly or maybe not al all.

G-girl

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017
My HP laptop suddenly shuts down within an hour after it gets hot. I think my fan is not working properly or maybe not al all. When I turn it on it says that it will be turned off in 15 secs or I should press "Enter" if I want to continue but it's not recommended. I choose to press Enter anyways 'cause I have to use the laptop.

Solution
Get the exact model number, go on ebay, and buy a new fan. It's usually not too hard to install.

Or go to a PC repair place and get them to do the same.

You may even find that the fan has simply come unplugged.

G-girl

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017
This is the exact error message I see on a black screen: The system has detected that a cooling fan is not operating correctly.
Continued operation is not recommended and may cause unpredictable behavior that could result in random shutdown, data loss or possible system damage. The system will shut down in 15 seconds. To prevent shutdown and continue operation, press the Enter key now.
System Fan (90b). No I don't hear nor feel the fan running.

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
Probably means that indeed the fan isn't working. It shuts down when the CPU hits its thermal limit to avoid damaging anything.

They're usually fairly easy to replace on HPs if the bottom is removable. You can usually find spare parts for a specific model on Ebay.

G-girl

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017

It is an HP 2000 Notebook PC

G-girl

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017

Thanks for your advice.