My Laptop Beeps and Shuts Down at Random, Inconvenient Times (All Times)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

YeOldTurnip

Estimable
Oct 12, 2014
I have a Sager NP8671 / Clevo 650SE that I got 3 or so years ago that within the past 2 or 3 weeks has been exhibiting a problem its never had before and that has been driving me up the wall. Before I go on, here are my system specs:

- Intel Core i7-5700HQ CPU 2.70GHz
- Nvidia GTX 970m 4GB
- Windows 10 64-bit
- Samsung 850 EVO M.2 120GB SSD as my C:Drive
- HGST 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive as my D:Drive
- 8GB RAM

So on to my problem. I will admit, I haven't looked a manual to see what these beeps may mean, but they are so inconsistent that I am here for solutions from people who have had experience with this same issue so that I know what to do to fix it and to hopefully reassure me that my GPU isn't melting onto my motherboard.

My laptop will begin to beep shortly after opening any gaming programs I have... sometimes. It happens so spontaneously that I am beginning to think its the humidity in my environment more than a hardware problem. It doesn't beep while under stress in other situations though, only while playing games (admittedly its the only thing it would be under stress from because I mostly play games).

These beeps consist of a loud, mutable noise that lasts for a second and then pauses for a second. While it is beeping, my scroll lock, caps lock, and nums lock lights will flash in sync. This beeping usually persists for around 20 seconds before my laptop just shuts off, but has also lasted for less time before my laptop shuts off.

Sometimes it starts to beep right after I open a game. Sometimes it starts to beep 45 minutes later in the middle of said game after I had started to think the issue had stopped for today. Sometimes I can type this far into my post and it starts to beep with a game idle in the background 10 minutes later. Sometimes it just stops beeping for the day some time after noon. I can even play a game for a 5 hours without it beeping, then have it beep, or just leave my laptop on all night while in a game for 11 hours without it beeping. I just don't understand its inconsistencies.

Along with its inconsistent behavior, it also beeps for very different requirements. Its beeped for Warcraft III, Heroes of the Storm, Dota 2, Terraria, and Dark Souls III so far, but I haven't tested others because I am not really playing other games right now. Plus, I won't know if it will or wont beep for other games because I have no idea whether or not it currently feels like beeping at all. Sometimes I feel like it just doesn't like what games I'm playing, because there is no way my laptop is struggling to play Terraria's menu screen.
I know this isn't an overheating issue either, because my laptop has overheated before and it simply shut down and burnt my legs, and that hasn't happened yet. I also use it with fans full blast the entire time to prevent overheating from happening. I've also been monitoring my performance with Task Manager and my heat with a fan control program, and it is never under what I would consider heavy load when its beeping.

And to top it all off, the number one thing leaving me scratching my head about what is the root cause of my problem is the fact that my laptop has, on several occasions, began to beep and then stop beeping of its own accord while playing games. It once even stopped mid-beep, cutting the beep short. The fact that it can't even be consistent on whether or not it thinks there's actually a problem worth shutting down over is what gets me.

Also, this problem only started when I came up to New York to visit family 3 weeks ago. It has never happened to me in my actual house in North Carolina. Nothing even happened to it on the drive up here.

So with all that, I ask if anyone has any ideas about what is happening or knows exactly what is happening from prior experience. I'm not in a situation to get my laptop looked at immediately, but I will keep whatever is said in mind for when I can get some help if need be. Sorry for the long extremely post, but I wanted to be thorough and mildly entertaining. Now you know exactly what is happening and what is causing it, and hopefully someone will know why.

YeOldTurnip

Estimable
Oct 12, 2014

Is that an Nvidia battery program? No I do not have it.

optimus means using the intel card for simple task and nvidia for heavy load.i suggest re seating your gpu and repaste it.

YeOldTurnip

Estimable
Oct 12, 2014
Well its been about a week and the beeping hasn't stopped yet. I haven't gotten it looked at yet but its behavior is still erratic, and its been consistently beeping for about 2 days now, stopping me from playing anything.
Also, something during the startup is causing it to beep as well. I thought it was just carryover from it crashing, but no, when it boots up and when I hit F2 to go into my BIOS, it will beep and shut down there too.

So this leaves 2 things triggering it: My BIOS and something during startup, as well as things involving my GPU.

TarondorIX

Prominent
Jul 25, 2017
I have a Sager P170SM-A which is basically a rebranded Clevo laptop. I too have had this problem happen a couple of weeks ago, I literally tried everything from flashing the BIOS to the Prema Mod BIOS to underclock and make sure throttling settings were enabled, to taking apart the whole laptop and cleaning and repasting every component, and the beeping still occurs. I sent my laptop to Sager so that they can tell me what the problem is and they basically said the GPU and the Motherboard needed to be replaced. However I gave them basically an essay of a complaint explaining that anyone could come up with the answer that they gave me which essentially is saying replace the 2 most expensive components (Sager is quoting $360 for the motherboard and $480 for a GTX 670M plus $60 in labor) on the this laptop. If that was the case I would just replace the laptop which you can get on eBay for $600 apparently from my searches. Anyhow I am waiting on their response to see if they are going to do an in-depth analysis of this issue because from doing online searches it is an inherent problem with Sager / Clevo laptops. Had I known this 3 years ago when I bought this, I would have just bought an HP or Dell. From my analysis of the issue, there has to be some temperature module on the motherboard that just goes out of wack, because the beeping occurs even when the system is idling. Probably in thr Northbridge (Southbridge? Can't remember if either one is still a thing) whichever chip takes in temperature reading could be the culprit here. Now at the same time, there are times when the GPU isn't even recognized by POST and thats when the system really freaks out, from my research, Clevo systems interpret no Dedicated GPU as some fatal problem and thats what causes the beeping freakout. Anyhow, let's hope that I get some really technical analysis from the Sager Techicians.

have u trry reseating your gpu?

YeOldTurnip

Estimable
Oct 12, 2014

Sorry for neglecting to check back in on this thread in awhile and also reviving it after a fair bit of time, but I greatly appreciate your feedback on this issue. I think my issue may have gotten worse, since its been happening for 2 days, but I also think it is entirely the fault of my GPU too. I can disable it and run off my dedicated graphics with no problem, and going into the Nvidia Experience app has now also started causing my laptop to beep, which it didn't before, and is also a giant red flag as to the culprit. I dont know if my issue is identical to yours, but I wouldn't doubt it because of the symptoms. Honestly if I could just disable the beeping I'd be happy. I'm convinced there is no actual issue with my laptop. I will take on whatever repercussions I have to when disabling a safety feature, but I take good care of this thing and know that I wont lose any sleep disabling a heat sensor. The heat from my fans and my keyboard are good enough indicators of the heat for me. I also am not in a position to replace my motherboard or GPU if they are suggested to be replaced, so I gotta just live with it for now. I'll leave this thread open for now, but in the future once it gets resolved, I plan to come back and actually select an answer.

Edit: After looking around for similar issues, it seems this may be a common problem with Clevo/Sager laptops. Several other people have said the same that the laptop may beep because it no longer recognizes the GPU's thermals, either because the motherboard's thermal sensors are failing, the GPU's thermal sensors are failing, or the GPU itself is failing. So if they are right, whatever is failing has to be replaced, but I will reserve a final judgement until my issue is actually resolved.

Another Edit: After more reading up, another symptom of this issue is that some sensors do not report a temperature on GPUs, and I am having this issue. Intel XTU reports 0 degrees Celsius, as does GPU-Z. So I guess this answers my question even more. I think I just have to forsake using my GPU for... anything now and replace it in the future, and even possibly my motherboard. This kinda sucks. I'll probably avoid Sager products now in the future, since this seems to affect even their past generations of laptops, and also afflicts the GTX 970M. Its a dastardly duo of budget busters.

eballack

Prominent
Sep 19, 2017
I'm also using clevo p170sm-a,which is almost 3 years old.I've never had this issue until this summer.ScrollLock,CapsLock,Numslock are all blinking together but there is no beeping.It used to beep but it doesn't happen anymore.
Here what I ve tried so far;
1-reflashing bios and EC..
2-Cleaning and repasting thermal compound.
3-Using my laptop without a battery.
None of them fixed the issue.As you people said I think this is a false overheat alarm.There isn't much we can do to resolve this issue.Hopefully a miracle happens and it stops..

YeOldTurnip

Estimable
Oct 12, 2014
Update: Just today it stopped beeping where previously it would beep relentlessly. I'm unsure if this is going to last or how long it will, or what fixed it. Lately though I have just been uninstalling it several times whenever I boot my computer back up because FOR SOME REASON despite it being disabled, it will still register during the boot-up, start beeping, and put me on a count down to log in and disable it via Device Manager.
So after maybe 3 uninstalls over the past few days, I reinstalled the drivers because I had noticed it hadnt been troubling me for a bit, and its... just working again. But given how its behaved in the past, I'm not going to treat it as a miracle. It could just be messing with me for all I know. It's a change though, so its something.

Edit: Its the next day and it started beeping again.

Edit: Its later the same day as the last edit and I have uninstalled, restarted, reinstalled, restarted again, and its working again. Again, I'm not sure how long it will work for, but I'll just keep at it and see. It lasted a whole day last time, so perhaps it'll keep working like that. Or maybe It'll have extreme diminishing returns and I'm getting my hopes up.

Edit: It started beeping 2 hours later. This issue is playing on my feelings.

sebastiancioata98

Prominent
Nov 5, 2017
I've got a Clevo N850 with 1050ti and I've got the same problem. First it started with 2 beep now I've got sometimes continous beep till it shutdown. I've got normal temps. My laptop is 8 months old. I'm going to send it to warranty to see what is happening. I also saw that on battery I dont get any beeps. I can also play games. But when its plugged in and its charging also I dont have beep, but when its hitting 90-100% battery it starts to beep. I set flexitcharger to 70-80% but i still got 2 beeps when was charging.

YeOldTurnip

Estimable
Oct 12, 2014

Sorry to hear that. Based on everything I've heard, it just seems like this is an issue inherent to Sager, or at least this style/line of laptops. I wouldn't be surprised that this issue might also exist in their GTX 1000 line too, at least if the chassis and motherboards are the same. This whole thing, along with more research, is kinda putting me off Sager entirely. This wouldn't even be such an issue if their BIOS wasn't so bare bones so that we could actually turn off the heat sensors. I can manage the heat myself, but there isn't even that option.
I even tried removing my GPU yesterday just to make the occasional beeping and shutdowns stop, but I can't. It isn't MXM I guess, and the GPU is soldered in place.
Im looking into other brands now. It's a shame too, Sager's aesthetic is one of my favourites among all other brands. Before I commit to getting any of the others I'm gonna need to look more into seeing if they have any similar catastrophic failures.

sebastiancioata98

Prominent
Nov 5, 2017

Ok, I kinda figured out. Its been 4 days since I opened my laptop, and I took out my ventilators and I cleaned them. Ive got no more beeps. I will use this week my laptop more to see if I have to send it to warranty.

EDIT: I played like 10 hours + hours of the new Need For Speed Payback in Ultra and some other games and no beeps. My video card was working a lot and I've got high temperature but everything went ok. No beeps. Ill keep use it next week, and Ill update you guys. Btw when I opened the ventilators, I mean when I took them off from chasis, the vent from video card had some dust, and some weird stuff there XD.

YeOldTurnip

Estimable
Oct 12, 2014
While I hope that your issue does resolve itself, keep in mind that mine also started in a very similar fashion. It started out very gradually, and then worsened over a course of like 2 months until I reached my current point where I can no longer use my GPU or really even restart my laptop without risk of it beeping and shutting itself off. Its a very gradual deterioration that plays on your hopes and expectations for something thats basically hardware failure.

sebastiancioata98

Prominent
Nov 5, 2017

Meh, today its the first day I get again the beep. My laptop was in sleep mode, with some applications on, I think too many(Chrome - 5 tabs or so, Steam, League of Legends Client, Visual Studio) and unplugged. When I opened it and plugged in after 1-2 mins I started to use it, the ventilators started to do a lot of noise, they started at maximum power I think, and imediately started to beep. I cant open it again to check if its again dust there, if Ill get again beeps till weekend Ill open it again.

Edit: Yea, it's totally back. I was playing fifa and boom the beeps were back. And the shutdown came.

YeOldTurnip

Estimable
Oct 12, 2014
Well guys, this is gonna be the last post. I sorta forgot about this thread until I was able to fix my laptop, and now that day won't come. For unrelated reasons, my laptop got totally and physically destroyed. It's no longer in a working state - regardless of the issue it had and still had up until recently. HOWEVER, I did have someone who would've liked to have taken a look at it, and said that he worked on another laptop in the past that had a similar issue. He said that he was going to try and shock components on the motherboard to "reset" its issue sensors or something, making it "forget" it had a problem in the first place. He said it worked before, so I was looking forward to see if it would fix mine as well...
But, that can't happen now. Sorry to end this all on a fart, and sorry to the small percentage of people out there who had this same issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.