my laptop connected to my tv with hdmi but no sound from 5.1

ATISHA

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015
hello everyone,

firsty i want to mention my 5.1 sound system doesnt have hdmi input. when i connect my laptop or my phone to my 5.1 with a "y cable" it works perfect. when i play a movie on my dvd player (which is also the amp/receiver for the 5.1) the sound and picture is ofcourse, perfect. my tv is connected to the amp with audio/video cable.

But when i connect my laptop to my tv with an hdmi cable (my tv stays connected with the amp of the 5.1 which is the dvd player) there is no sound from the sound system. The sound is only from the tv. how i can get the sound from the 5.1 in this case? can anyone please help me? thanks

Mr Soup

Estimable
Feb 4, 2015
HDMI carries picture and sound so when you run an HDMI cable directly to the TV you that's what you get. If you want the sound to go to the receiver instead you will need to add an audio cable.

You will probably have to use the headphone jack as an out and a 3.5mm to RCA audio setup to reach the receiver. Other audio out jacks might work, but sometimes they don't play nice since HDMI is already carrying the sound. Even if it does work it may duplicate the sound so you get it to the receiver and to the TV in which case you should mute the TV. The headphone jack, however, will generally override any other audio out so it is easier.
something like this would probably work just fine for your needs:
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Audio-Cable-Splitter-1-Mini/dp/B00004Z5CP/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1427750692&sr=8-4&keywords=headphone+to+rca+y

If you want to spend a little more and not have to mess with the headphone jack every time you can get an HDMI splitter that will split audio and video like this:

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Premium-Extractor-Converter-VHD-H2HSAs/dp/B00KBHX072/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427750769&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+audio+splitter

lastly, if you have a tv with audio out (very few do) you can hook that to your receiver