Question My laptop fan is spinning faster than usual without any reasoning and I experience Explorer.exe blank error

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

newbie98

Estimable
Jan 9, 2018
Hello!
I have Lenovo Ideapad 520 15-IKB 81BF. On 5th of June I removed my hard disk and installed a brand new Samsung 870 EVO Sata III SSD 2,5". I Installed Windows 10 Pro on it and all the drivers I'm supposed to have. On the first reboot I noticed one error when signing in windows - Explorer.exe blank error. I searched it up in google and found out that I had to delete the value of Load in some regedit file. I did it and after 2 reboots, the error started popping up again. I noticed that in problem reports I have 2 Windows Hardware Errors which were not reported on 06/06. The first one:

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 144
Parameter 1: 3003
Parameter 2: ffffd0890c0bf5b0
Parameter 3: 40010000
Parameter 4: 0
OS version: 10_0_19043
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.19043.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

The second one:

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffffdd8bf3b191e0
Parameter 2: fffff800646f8f20
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 0
OS version: 10_0_19043
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.19043.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

The thing that made me ask a question here in the forum was the fan of the laptop. The fan is not recognized by SpeedFan and that thing that is driving me crazy is that it is spinning almost on max speed in some intervals. When I hit the laptop over the fan a few times, it stops. But after a few minutes it starts spinning fast again. Tried few things that I found in the forums, none worked (E.g.: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...g/e51a1210-8c82-498c-b45d-a775ee91bc9e?page=1 and a few others). None of them helped. I even think it started doing that in shorter intervals, or it just got into my head too much. I'd appreciate some help, thanks.

I ran the Lenovo Diagnostics Test on every possible thing our there and every test was passed. In the Event Viewer window there is hundreds ot errors and warnings, I couldn't possibly decipher/fix all of them. I downloaded all possible drivers for my laptop specifically from Lenovo's website.
There will be lots of errors but note that I said "Critical" Errors. There should be few to none of those.

Make sure you have all the latest WIndows updates. Check in the update tool for optional updates and see if there are any related to the fan or system (don't just install them all). Ditto for updating using the Lenovo tool, which you have probably already done. I had a similar issue a while back with my HP laptop. The next Windows update the problem went away. Check the Lenovo forum and see if others are having issues.

newbie98

Estimable
Jan 9, 2018
I dont have any "Critical errors" in the Event Viewer, only Errors, Warnings etc. Everything is up to date in the Windows update, in optional updates, I don't have any specific drivers for the fan/system. I checked all forums before even typing this thread, nothing helped.

A short representation of my problem:
View: https://youtu.be/9nLvz08kqwg
(this is my laptop)

Last edited:
Oh man. That would be hard to live with. I'm pretty much out of ideas. I suppose there could be a HW issue with the fan control (unlikely). The last thing I would try would be a complete, clean reinstall of Windows. That is a long a painful process however with no guarantees. Please let us know if you find an answer.

BTW--The video answered what would have been my next question about loading and temps...

newbie98

Estimable
Jan 9, 2018
Update: Horizontal white lines started appearing on my screen. I have the latest drivers for my Intel UHD 620 and the latest drivers for the Nvidia Geforce MX150.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Update: Horizontal white lines started appearing on my screen. I have the latest drivers for my Intel UHD 620 and the latest drivers for the Nvidia Geforce MX150.
Sounds like you have a hardware failure. The fan issue from earlier indicates a bad sensor or an overheating device. This white lines would confirm such a failure.

It may be time for a motherboard swap or a new laptop.