Solved! My laptop has a CD drive with a button to open it but it wont open

christyparks420

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
i have a CD drive in my Acer Aspire V 14 Touch ( Win10 ) and when i press the button to open the tray, it wont open AT ALL, when i look for a CD drive THERE IS NONE! how can i get my CD drive back? would be useful for music and if i ever need a backup or restore disc.

Solution
If it not working then replace it with new one.. lots of fitting drives would be there in eBay and Aliexp... or else external drives also available
But before buying a new one just check whether this one plugged properly.
Jan 11, 2014

Go to BIOS and try it again.. sometimes it can be OS issue. Let us know what you get.

christyparks420

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016

besides poweriso i only have a c: drive on this laptop. thats y im asking, how can i get my disc drive back. i got the laptop like this. only one drive.

kanewolf

Judicious

It is possible that the CD drive was removed to install a second disk. It may not have been properly re-installed or it might just be broken.

There are videos on YouTube with different Acer CD replacement procedures. See if you can find one that looks like your computer.

Jan 11, 2014

Then it more sounds like a internal power failure to the ROM. Have you unplugged it from the LAP?

christyparks420

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016

as i said i got the laptop this way. everything else works fine on here. the only thing i was told that was wrong with the laptop was the touchpad was a bit sensitive and sticks a bit, but i have a wireless mouse so i have no issues there lol.

christyparks420

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016

how would there be a second disc if the c: drive is the main drive for any laptop or PC? like y would someone remove something if its needed for restore points or reinstalling windows if there was an issue?

USAFRet

Illustrious

Either it was never in there, or it was removed. Broken, or the previous owner wanted to use it elsewhere.

christyparks420

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016

so acer made a laptop with a bogus CD drive? yea right. and where else would they have used it if the only drive i see is a c: drive?! thats where im lost. i had an old CD ( from a band i saw live when i went to visit family in New Brunswick ) i was gonna rip, and when i pressed the button the tray wouldnt open. :(

USAFRet

Illustrious

A LOT of current laptops have no CD/DVD drive. Just a cover over where it should be.

Or, it may be broken or disconnected.

100% verification would be to take it apart and see whats inside.

christyparks420

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016

dont wanna risk screwing up anything else inside that DOES work, like my touchscreen, or even the touchpad. my last touchscreen laptop was one with a detachable keyboard so it was more like a a mini-tablet with attachable keyboard. never had a laptop with a touchscreen before in my life. not one thats over a thousand bucks brand new.

Jan 11, 2014
If it not working then replace it with new one.. lots of fitting drives would be there in eBay and Aliexp... or else external drives also available
But before buying a new one just check whether this one plugged properly.

Solution