My laptop keeps crashing when I watch videos

Daniel_554

Prominent
Jun 29, 2017
I've had my Asus x555lab laptop for around a year and a half and I've never had this problem before. When I watch a video on youtube after 5 minutes or so the screen will free and the laptop will make a buzzing noise which I think is what had been playing just before it crashed. Sometimes the rate changes like I was able to watch 25 minutes show on netflix then watched youtube for 5 minutes when it then crashed. I'm not able to click anything, move the mouse or even do ctrl alt del. I have to power off the laptop by pressing the button in order restart it. It has happened while watching a video on full screen and on normal size. It only happens when watching a video.I don't know what is wrong and I want to fix it as soon as possible

Solution

only way to find out the issue is to let it run and watch the bsod code.use bluscreen viewer incase u miss the code.

i had an issue like this once with my old HP laptop and turns out to be my display and audio driver fault.try disabling ur integrated video driver and see if the problem still persist.if it works find then your display driver could be a problem.

Daniel_554

Prominent
Jun 29, 2017
I tried that and while at first it seemed like it was working my laptop crashed later on. I'm able to watch dvds fine on it but it occurs when watching something online like youtube or netflix. Any other suggestions?

Daniel_554

Prominent
Jun 29, 2017
What happens is that the screen freezes. This happens in both full screen and normal size. No buttons work, nor does the mouse. I restart it by shutting down the laptop myself. However if left alone the laptop restarts with a blue screen that says 'Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll just collect some error info and then we'll restart for you' I can't remember what else it says on the page as it normally changes quickly. The next time it happens I can say.

if it crash only with chrome then try a different browser.

JohnnyNovak67

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017
I have had the same laptop----Asus x555lab---for around a year and a half and have had the same EXACT problem. It freezes and buzzes loudly on Youtube videos, the whole keyboard locks, and it continues this way anywhere from 15 seconds to 2 minutes. Sometimes it restarts the computer with the same blue-screen error message you described. It sucks that this happens after the warranty is over. Obviously there is some sort of defect.

advertisetonick

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017
I don't have a laptop with the issue, but it is the exact same issue. Online media, Netflix, YouTube, Amazon all present the same symptoms described with the bsod and watchdog. My PC is an Asus and from other searches I find realtek comes up a lot and it is the nic I have in my PC and I suspect it is also in your laptops. Asus doesn't list the driver as realtek on their site. I had to download all listed under my PC's support page and try them all to find the one that was a realtek driver. However, the problem still persists. My realtek nic is the 8821AE. Don't bother checking the realtek site, either, it's not there. My guess is that it is something that was made for Lenovo and Asus as I haven't found it mentioned elsewhere. I don't think it is a result of insufficient system resources which one might assume if one had a laptop. My PC is a ROG with an Intel 6700 and a Nvidia 1070 and 16 gb of ram, however, I suffer the same problem as you good folks with the laptops. One thing did just come to me, however, and it might be the nic gets too hot. The Asus ROG case is a small form factor so perhaps that is what we all share in common.

Edit:

Finally found the link on the Realtek site for my wireless NIC. Check to see if it helps you too.

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=21&PFid=62&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

It updates my driver from 2023.55.415.2017 to 2023.56.0502.2017