My laptop screen keeps turning off (inverter or backlight)

Status
Not open for further replies.

deejved

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
So, I am having an Acer aspire 5334 laptop, and suddenly my screen went black. i checked 100 of forums, and result is:
External monitor works fine so its not the graphic card,
when i turn laptop on, it works minute or two, but then it turns off. when i look into screen with flaslight i can see dim image, so i suppose it is the inverter, or the backlight. as the backlight itself has 50.000 hours of life, i assume it is the inverter problem. And another thing. when i have external monitor connected to laptop and i switch between internal and external monitor, internal turns on again, and works for few seconds, then goes dim again. I also tried changing the settings (when u close the tray - do nothing, etc., that didnt work) before i go into buying new inverter.. is it possible that it is a software problem, and should i try formatting the computer?
and one more question. i have one inverter at home. but its Medion, not acer. and they also look different. Should i try putting medion's inverter in acer's laptop, or it is not a wise thing to do?

please help a.s.a.p.!

I've done a few strange things with laptops over the years but I haven't attempted that. I will recommend against attempting it without a schematic for the screen and inverter (if you do try it without a schematic, be sure to video the results - could be fun)
I will highly recommend getting the proper inverter for the screen here

deejved

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

well, i dont think i need schematics for the screen, cuz i disassembled few laptops so far, and i know how to do it. i did disassemble my acer yesterday to check the cable connections on inverter and video cable.. it didnt help. tomorrow im gonna try to format laptop. if that wont work im going for the inverter.

topher91

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
It sounds like an issue with the backlight.
I have experienced the same issue in the pasted were, there are 2 backlights. When one of the back lights fail, the inverter shuts off as there is no longer equal load on the inverter. When you toggle between the different screen the inverter tries again.
To resolve the problem replace the panel or be brave and try to replace the bulb.

Geevaro

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013

Hi there
before buying the inverter just a question for you. U say it goes on and switch off after a minute or 2 right. does your Laptop heat up fast when you switch it on ? if it does make sure your fan is clean and running well. a dirty fan can course over heat on your board/CPU and make your screen go black. hope you get your problem solved.

stoatwblr

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Actually, if the light comes on and then flicks out, it's probably the ccfl tube. Old flourescents do that too.

(The reason is that the inverter supplies a high "strike" voltage and then settles down to a lower voltage at constant current. If the tube is old the current draw increases as the tube warms up resulting in voltage dropping below the level necessary to maintain the arc)

If the backlight has a pink tinge, that's confirmation it is knackered. Pink is due to nitrogen contamination from the atmosphere which has diffused through the glass into the vacuum of the tube.

Luckily most suppliers will allow you to test the ccfl before installing it and trade it back for an inverter if the tube's not faulty.

On the other hand: Changing out the tube is not for the fainthearted and they're fragile as hell. You mnight wish to consider changing the backlight and inverter for LEDs. You can get generic kits from chinese suppliers for less than $10 apiece in 10-up quantity (or pay $20-50 for one locally)

tejaskhandagale92

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
I do have same issue with my Acer 5750 laptop. Exactly same, its starting fine, after sign in/login it shows everything on screen properly but after 3-5 min screen light turns off.

Note: Only screen turns to black but still it is working in background. If I use torch I can see my desktop icons. :D pretty funny but thats true.

I used to turn it on by pressing Fn+F6 key(used to turn on/off screen) but this also works for very short time and it again goes to black.

More important thing which I didn't understand is that when I keep laptop charging(plugged in) screen stick to ON almost an hour and do not goes off immediately. But it also happen in charging mode I have to use Fn+F6 to turn it on/off again. Only benefit is on charging mode it works for longer than battery mode.

I tried to format it but same issue after format. I don't tried on external monitor but I'm sure it will work on external monitor cause it is working in charging mode seems graphics/video card is fine.

My problem is not yet resolved hence posting this to ask you what did you do to resolve this? Please! Help me to get rid of this I'm extremely tired of this thing now. :??:

Status
Not open for further replies.