my laptop suddenly shuts down even doing nothing

potatomagnet

Estimable
Jun 29, 2014
so i got a toshiba c660 satellite laptop. everything was good until one day when i was using my laptop, it suddenly shut down. then i try to open it again, while in the starting windows logo, it shuts down again. i tried to open it again, then the launch start up repair command showed up. i tried the start up and i can use my computer again for long hours. but after letting it rest for few hours, the same thing happened again. what could be the main problem? and what should i do in order to fix this? and another thing when i use capslock the key 4 r f and v do not function. but if i hold shift i can type 4 r f and v. is that related to the sudden shutting down? please help me. thanks in advance.

potatomagnet

Estimable
Jun 29, 2014
nope, i think overheating is not a problem since it happens even when i was just about to use my laptop. and it does not give any blue screen when it shuts down. sometimes it just shuts down out of the blue and sometimes it freezes for so long that i need to reset it manually.

hans_pcguy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
It could be that the ac adapter is no longer charging the battery and the battery is nearly dead having only enough power to begin booting. Or the battery is bad. try taking the battery out and plugging in the ac adapter and try booting that way. If it boots up, you know the battery is bad. If it does nothing, you know the ac adapter is not charging the laptop. That would not necessarily mean that the adapter is bad, it could be the power board inside the laptop too. At least that test will give you some answers. The thing about the keys not working is because you have the num lock on. Hit the numlock key, that will turn off numlock and restore normal use of the keys.