My laptop's keyboard is not functioning correctly. My spacebar, backspace, and enter keys are not doing the appropriate thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

alessa1982

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
I am at wit's end here. I'm not even sure what kind of problem this is but I have had no luck finding answers thus far. When I press my backspace, spacebar, and enter keys on my laptop, they do not function as they should. For example, enter opens up a new firefox window. spacebar pulls up my printer window or types a few letters. Backspace opens up a window for computer only, duplicate, extend, and projector only. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong here and how I might fix this? Nothing has been spilled on my laptop at any time. Thanks in advance. I really appreciate any ideas.

tangfastico

Estimable
Feb 19, 2014
I exactly the same problem on my Compaq CQ56 laptop as described above i.e. opening up a Firefox browser window, printer window or the screen options thing. The same thing happens using a word processor - so not just in browsers. The first time it happened, I found that my sticky keys were on. Changing this solved it. I have shut down this time, disconnected all the power (lead and battery) and left for half an hour before connecting and rebooting. Windows and HP updates are up to date, but still a problem with spacebar, backspace and return. The on screen keyboard from Ease of Access works fine - hence typing this with spaces. Could uploading a new game cause this problem?

ratedk

Distinguished
tangfastico, Can you confirm that Sticky Keys & Filter Keys are not active?

http://www.guidingtech.com/11438/enable-or-disable-sticky-filter-toggle-keys-windows-7/

Though it is unlikely that a game install would modify these settings, I couldn't rule it out. It would be pretty easy to make something to do a simple registry edit that would cause either of your issues.

If something has re-mapped your keys, here's an easy GUI to set them back to what they should be (or re-map them to do something else):

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/map-any-key-to-any-key-on-windows-xp-vista/

Look for the link at the bottom of the article to download sharpkeys.

tangfastico

Estimable
Feb 19, 2014

Suryansh Mishra

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014

Hi there! First of all, check out your problem with the Windows On Screen Keyboard.
1.Open Start>Run> Type without Quotes: "osk" and press enter.
2.Press those key's which were creating troubles and check those keys on the Osk.
3. If the keys on Osk Works fine then there's a problem with your Keyboard and if the Osk is also facing the same problem then you might have to Format the System because some malwares attack the system drive and alters the behaviour of custom keys.

See the below link to Know how to Format System.
Thankyou.

erinleigh

Estimable
Oct 31, 2014
Hi, i'm having a very similar issue. My keys will only let me use them once and then stop. If i want to backspace a whole word, it will only go back one letter or space, my arrows will only go one way as well. As well, my keys will not let me hit two at a time, only one. Its getting really frustrating, i'm a writer, i need a functioning keyboard.

tangfastico

Estimable
Feb 19, 2014
erinleigh,

I couldn't fix mine. I think the keyboard had just gone as it got worse and worse with more keys failing. Check sticky keys as mentioned above. Otherwise it may need a new keyboard fitted. Also, I don't know if it's possible, but there may be such a thing as a ketboard which will plug into a USB to use in the meantime or a wireless keyboard. Windows Access has a on screen keyboard, but that is rather tedious to use.

crooked windows

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
just got the same problem. My keys sometime work and then sometimes dont do anything. and the backspace is one move per touch. Hold down and it will only move1 space. Same with anykey too. OSK works fine. willdo a reinstal and getback and report

Update: tried a suggestion for sticky keys and it worked as follows:
. ("That's a Windows setting, not a Word setting. Go to Control Panel >
Accessibility Options and turn off the Filter Keys option. Also click the
Settings button for it and disable the shortcut (by default, holding down
the right Shift key for 8 seconds turns it on). You should probably disable
the other two accessibility options, too, to avoid unpleasant surprises.")
saved my day as I didn't want to do a reinstal. :)

alluddin

Estimable
Jan 25, 2015

chrisshorb

Estimable
Jun 18, 2015
Thanks! My keyboard's "a" key was acting oddly. But I was bale to test to be sure it was the keyboard, not something internal. Using osk has allowed me to type this message correctly.
Guess it's time to go to Dell and order a new keyboard.

Kamal_2

Estimable
Sep 11, 2015
You are a genius man, its working after I started working with OSP, thanks for your support.

Whoevere facing any problem with keyboard issues, open OSP first and write onNotepad anything testing all keys with OSP, then you will see , your keys will start working without any problem.

5Droid1King9

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017

Thanks, this worked for me on a dell but I'm sure it doesnt matter what brand of laptop you have.

Desiree_6

Prominent
Apr 22, 2017

This helped my problem, so thank for that!

jonenzo.pantilanan

Prominent
Nov 22, 2017
I've got the same problem, I've tried every thing thats been said here including resetting my laptop, Asus X540U. I got this from the company i'm working on and have it for 2-3 months now and I have not spilled anything to it. Sometimes it works fine but the past 4 days 4-6 keys on my keyboard is malfunctioning including my backspace and enter key. I don't know what to do.
also encountered a problem after resetting the laptop which is my laptop can detect our wifi but can not browse the internet. I tried uninstalling its wifi connection driver and restarting it and also do the command prompt thing. Thank you and I hope that someone can help me!

Feb 12, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.