My lenovo y700 shuts down when playing games

TermTerm4923

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016
My laptop has an HDD and an SSD. When playing games from the SSD, the laptop has never shut down. Playing games from my HDD does cause it to shut down. I tried it by moving Skyrim between my SSD and HDD and well it shuts down while i played it from my HDD. The game that always crashed is Battlefield 4, but i cant move that to my SSD because i dont have enough space. I've checked the HDD with software and it said is was fine. Could it really be just my HDD? The max temp the cpu or gpu has ever gone up to was 67c.

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there TermTerm4923,

Sounds like an overheating issue, despite the fact that the temps are average. Can you turn on the laptop right after it shuts down? In case you can't, then it is overheating. You can consider cleaning the dust out of it.

Could you post a screenshot of the SMART report? (HDD testing tool)

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

TermTerm4923

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016

I thought it was overheating because Battlefield 4 is a demanding game, but even playing Star Wars Battlefront 2 will cause it to crash. It crashes about 2-4 times and then it will stop crashing and I am able to play (this is usually what happens). Then other times it will crash repeatedly every like 10 secs or so and at that point i give up.

TermTerm4923

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016

Yes I can turn it on right after. It doesn't necessarily turn off, more so it goes to sleep because all i have to do is click my mouse and put in my password and I'm all set to go.
I'll try the SMART report but I've heard they're not too reliable on diagnosing HDD issues.
edit:
here is the SMART report
http://imgur.com/a/c8vy5

TermTerm4923

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016

well i dont have any other programs on my HDD, everything else is on the SSD. Only thing on my HDD are games

TermTerm4923

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016

What do you suggest i download? Like a browser?

TermTerm4923

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016

i have installed mozilla, I'll see if it does causes my laptop to shutdown. I also have opened up my laptop to unplug and plug my HDD back into the laptop (maybe it was just a loose connection) but nope, it still shutdown while downloading Battlefield 4 on it.

TermTerm4923

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016

Unfortunately I don't have another laptop to try the hard drive on, but I did order a new hard drive and it should get here within a week, hopefully that will fix it. Also, why would the laptop crash if the OS is not on that hard drive?