My Microphone port doesn't work

Sonnny

Commendable
Nov 16, 2016
OK so this has been an ongoing problem ever since i bought a pair of "gaming headphones" which included two plugs one for sound and the other for microphone and the microphone doesn't work! Now i haven't tried any other headsets but i recently bought a USB adapter that acts like the two ports, and yes you could say that it's a fixed problem but its irritating to know that a microphone port doesn't work and if there is a fix it would be better than using a USB adapter.

This is a school laptop that i bought, but i don't want to fiddle around with the internal components so any fixes that include me breaking my warranty is a no go.

my laptop is an Acer Travel Mate TMP645-M
pretty please help :(

Solution
Does your laptop have two ports, one for mic and one for headset? Or just one port? If it has only one, it may not be made for both a mic and headphones, but headphones only. Which is pretty common in laptops anymore. Why they think people won't want external mics I don't know.

Now if it has a separate 3.5 jack for the mic on the laptop, then try checking to make sure it is actually set up to work.

1. Connect the headphones and mic to their respective jacks.
2. Go to "Control Panel" and then "Sound".
3. Click on the "Recording" tab and see if your mic is listed.
4. If it is, highlight it and then right-click on it and click "Set as default device".
5. When back on the "Sound" screen, "Recording" tab, with the mic highlighted, click...
Does your laptop have two ports, one for mic and one for headset? Or just one port? If it has only one, it may not be made for both a mic and headphones, but headphones only. Which is pretty common in laptops anymore. Why they think people won't want external mics I don't know.

Now if it has a separate 3.5 jack for the mic on the laptop, then try checking to make sure it is actually set up to work.

1. Connect the headphones and mic to their respective jacks.
2. Go to "Control Panel" and then "Sound".
3. Click on the "Recording" tab and see if your mic is listed.
4. If it is, highlight it and then right-click on it and click "Set as default device".
5. When back on the "Sound" screen, "Recording" tab, with the mic highlighted, click "Configure" on the bottom of the window.
6. You should run through a few tests to make it work.

Solution