My receiver warns not to connect two speaker wires

wbattel4607

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
I just got a brand new AV receiver and speakers today. One of the many included documents makes note of how and how not to wire the speakers. One note in particular says "Do not connect two speaker cords to lengthen it." Why is this? I have a ~15ft wire run that came up about 2ft short and I need to lengthen it with another wire roll I have. I was going to just connect them and wrap them in electrical tape, so can someone tell me why [Sony] says not to? Thanks.

Solution
That's as close as an answer you are going to get. If you wait for the world to always give you a yes/no, u waiting a long time.

I wouldn't do it myself because it's an unsightly hack job, but if you have to, at least splice them STAGGERED, meaning have both exposed wires say a few inches apart, so if the electric tapes ever becomes unraveled, they will not be touching each other to short.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Standard 'warning'.
They don't want people doing a hack job of splicing wires together and shorting something out.
"Sony didn't tell me this would happen!!! I should sue!!"

wbattel4607

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014

So, realistically, is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

That's as close as an answer you are going to get. If you wait for the world to always give you a yes/no, u waiting a long time.

I wouldn't do it myself because it's an unsightly hack job, but if you have to, at least splice them STAGGERED, meaning have both exposed wires say a few inches apart, so if the electric tapes ever becomes unraveled, they will not be touching each other to short.

Solution

wbattel4607

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014

I agree with your anti-binary sentiment, I was just confirming my suspicion. Thanks for the help. (I wish I could select more than one best answer)

Scott_120

Commendable
Nov 16, 2016
If speaker wires get too long, the amplifier can burn out. two feet won't hurt a bit.

So, realistically, is there any reason I shouldn't do this?
[/quotemsg]