Solved! My toshiba satellite l775d-s7222 won't power off.

Oct 12, 2018
My toshiba satellite l775d-s7222 won't power off.

After I click: Start, Shut Down, the blue screen appears indicating that the system will power off (or [power down), but it never does. I have left my office and come back in the morning, with my system still in the same mode. The only dependable method of powering off (or [powering down) is to depress and hold the stat button. This is not a practical work around for this problem

Other fixes I have found, instructed me to remove my battery, and start my system just with the AC power from the power adapter, and shut it down. That seems to work, but again this is not a practical work around for this problem.

It seems that the issue lies in either: the battery, the hardware device which responds to a Windows software command to turn off the power, or a defective or corrupt Windows file which accentuates the power switch, disconnecting the battery power supply from the hardware.

My suspicion is that it is a corrupt Windows file. If it was the hardware device which does not respond to the software command, it probably would not work when I manually depress the power button.

I am running: Windows 7 Pro, I have 8GB of RAM, I have a 1TB hard drive. The last piece of software I upgraded, was Kaspersky Total Security to version 19. KTS says its not there software which can do something like this. This problem happened after I upgraded KTS. Using Google to do internet research on this issue, I find no report of any one else who is having this issue.

Does anyone have an answer as to what is causing this and how to remedy this issue?

Solution
Try starting up the laptop in "Safe Mode" and then once loaded, try shutting it down as normal. If it shuts down (battery in and all) then there is something running on the laptop that is the issue. I would do some good deep virus and malware scans. Also check the settings for any programs that could be having trouble shutting down, leaving the computer in limbo. Any newly installed ones or newly updated would be the first ones to check.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press...
Try starting up the laptop in "Safe Mode" and then once loaded, try shutting it down as normal. If it shuts down (battery in and all) then there is something running on the laptop that is the issue. I would do some good deep virus and malware scans. Also check the settings for any programs that could be having trouble shutting down, leaving the computer in limbo. Any newly installed ones or newly updated would be the first ones to check.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

In Windows 7/Vista/XP...

1. Immediately after turning on the computer, or restarting it (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key, repeatedly, in 1 second intervals.

2. The computer will then display hardware information and run a memory test.

3. Next the "Advanced Boot Options" menu will appear.

4. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press ENTER.

Solution