My USB 3.0 port is not working on my ASUS X550CA

19lumps54

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
I have a USB 2.0 port and a USB 3.0 port but the latter has stopped working for some reason. Anyone have any ideas?

Clayto1332

Estimable
Feb 10, 2015
You can try reinstalling your USB root hubs to see if it helps. Here is how.

Open device manager. One way to do this is to hold down the windows key on keyboard (between ctrl and alt) and hit "r". This pulls up a RUN box. In the space type the following and press enter:

devmgmt.msc

With this open, go to the bottom where you have "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" and expand by hitting the arrow to the left of it. Find your USB root hubs, right click and hit uninstall (not disable!!!). Keep in mind if you are using a USB mouse it will stop working when doing this (you are posting in the laptop tech support so I am assuming you have a working touchpad). Then at the top of the device manager window, there will be a button to the right that says "scan for hardware changes" when you hover your mouse over it. This will begin the process of reinstalling your USB root hubs. Then try your USB 3.0 port. It may resolve your issue.

If it doesn't, you may just have a defective port.

Clayto1332

Estimable
Feb 10, 2015
It happens. Most technicians do this repair for around 100 dollars. I looked up yours and it is a model that has the charging port soldered straight to the motherboard so it may take a bit longer and cost more. Good luck.