My VCR/DVD combo won't record VHS tapes onto DVD-Rs.

NoahJ

Estimable
Oct 8, 2014
Okay, so I have a ton of VHS tapes, and I want to record them onto either DVD's or digital files. I also don't want to pay a bunch of money to do it. If I didn't care about money I'd just buy the DVDs.

I have two VHS/DVD combos, one doesn't have the "dub" button, so I don't think it will work. And neither will recognize a blank disc. So when I insert my blank DVD, it won't recognize it and will just eject it.

Please tell me if I'm outta luck, or if I'm just doing it wrong. Thanks!

Solution
You probably don't have a DVD-burner combo, which would explain why it ejects them. Even if it has a record button, it's usually just for VHS. Unfortunately, you're only option would be more expensive than just buying the DVD's.

You'd have to buy a PC capture card, install it in your computer, record the footage, then burn it to your DVD.

Brillis Wuce

Estimable
Oct 17, 2014
You probably don't have a DVD-burner combo, which would explain why it ejects them. Even if it has a record button, it's usually just for VHS. Unfortunately, you're only option would be more expensive than just buying the DVD's.

You'd have to buy a PC capture card, install it in your computer, record the footage, then burn it to your DVD.

Solution

NoahJ

Estimable
Oct 8, 2014
Okay. Bummer.
Are you sure? I know that most VHS/DVD combos have the record even if they aren't burner combos, but it has a dubbing button as well. Which I read is used when recording VHS to DVD instead of the record button.

Brillis Wuce

Estimable
Oct 17, 2014
This is probably something that would be best if you looked up the manual for it online. You're right, the dubbing button is meant for that. Keep in mind that any professionally made VHS will have anti-piracy measures that'll prevent you from recording.