My wifi is connected but I can't load any web browser sites

shiftydude224

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015
Well I'm having more wifi problems now.

It comes on as usual, (4/4 green lights on modem and not one is flashing)

It says that connected but I cannot load ANY web page.

It just won't load.

My sister was using a laptop and she had the same issue

What should I do?

Here's what I already tried:

Turning modem on/off
Disabling WAN
Turning devices on/off

NONE OF THEM WORKED!

What is the problem and how do I fix it?

Solution
Being that this is happening on two computers, this can be the modem, or the router.

Plug your computer directly into the modem, and see if you have an internet connection. If you do not, call your ISP as they need to fix this for you.

The other possibility is the router. If you have an internet connection via the wire, that try rebooting the router and looking for a firmware update. If the connection is still out, the router has gone bad. In my experience, I go through a router every 2 - 3 years, and get exactly the behavior you describe- bars of signal, but not connection.

digitaldoc

Distinguished
Herald
Being that this is happening on two computers, this can be the modem, or the router.

Plug your computer directly into the modem, and see if you have an internet connection. If you do not, call your ISP as they need to fix this for you.

The other possibility is the router. If you have an internet connection via the wire, that try rebooting the router and looking for a firmware update. If the connection is still out, the router has gone bad. In my experience, I go through a router every 2 - 3 years, and get exactly the behavior you describe- bars of signal, but not connection.

Solution

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Is this your own Modem? Is the router built into the modem. Like what was said test the modem first by connecting the device wired if that works do the same with the router if it's a separate device. If the router is built into the modem contact your provider and they will try to communicate with the modem. The provider communicates with the modem by MAC address whether its their own issued or your own modem.