My Yamaha RX-V383BL standby every time I turn it on

Stephan_6

Commendable
Jul 9, 2016
Hi,

I've bought a Yamaha RX-V383BL amplifier in USA that I've brought back to France.

As we have 220 volts and USA 110 volts, I 've bought a step down transformer.

But when I switch on the amplifier, it tries to switch on and then goes straight to standby...

Any idea why?

Try it without any speakers connected. Maybe it's a short in the wire or a bad speaker rather than the transformer.
The transformer only steps down the voltage but doesn't change the frequency from 50 to 60hz. That might be the problem. Other possible causes would be insufficient wattage on the step down transformer.

Stephan_6

Commendable
Jul 9, 2016
I've only tried without any speakers connected. (didn't try with them connected).
You really think it could be the frequency that could cause that? And is there a way to change it?

Concerning the transformer, I took a 500w, so I think it's quite enough (I've read that the amplifier consum 260 W).

Apr 25, 2018
UPDATE: I've successfully turned mine on with a 2000w transformer without speakers (I don't have them yet). Looks ok and I can use the remote to switch modes with no issue.

Has your unit been tested working in US? I have bought the same unit as you and haven't tested yet as I'm on 240V where I'm located. Right now, I'm deciding whether to refund or to test with a voltage converter. Theoretically, a 500w voltage converter should work, at least 1.5 times the unit's power. However, some sites I visited recommended 3 times the unit's power. I'm likely to borrow a 2000w voltage converter from a friend to test.

Frequency should not matter. Anyway, I understand that voltage converter will not change frequency and any equipment that does will cost a bomb.

Have you checked with your local Yamaha service centre? Mine recommended me to get a transformer, but couldn't be more specific on whether it will work and what wattage to get.