MySpace Disables Autoplay to Reduce Costs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
[citation][nom]marcus_br[/nom]So...whatever way you look and inflate the numbers you still can't justify a 10 million bill per month. Someone up there must be completely idiot...or simple a HUGE liar.Most likely they are not spending even $100k month with it all.[/citation]

Ever consider maybe they pay a fee to somebody to stream each song in addition to JUST bandwidth?

marcus_br

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Hardly ever.

Let's say they do pay 3 million in servers and spend 7 million paying "fees".
10 - 3 = 7.

7 million / 1 billion = 0,007 dollars per stream, which is 0,7 cents...almost 1 cent per stream.
So you're telling me if i can setup my myspace page to have 1 million visits/month i would be getting $7000?
That's pretty good, a nice $7 cpm, much higher than google adsense ever pays :)

Do i just upload a song to them and start getting that much? I have a 10 million page views site, you know, maybe i could redirect...upload my own personal music and do some 70k/month.

I doubt strongly though. That's just a LOT of money (10 mi) whatever way you look at it...

G

Everytime I go on somebody's MySpace page, it visually appears to me that it should be written in crayon with the "e's" reversed. MySpace is for children. Anybody over the age of, oh, sixteen should've switched to Facebook by now. Anybody over the age of thirty should be using LinkedIn.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I still prefer Myspace over Facebook. Neither are great though. And I agree, this is a good idea. I just use them to keep in touch with friends. I never even bother updating my profile or leaving stupid statuses and stuff.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
good idea. it extremely irritating anyway to suddenly have fifty thousand songs blaring out of your speakers and having to hunt through all your browser pages to find how to turn them off.

reininop

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
Having avoided all of these social networking sites for various reasons, I am curious what the appeal to Myspace was and why Facebook has now become it's successor? I get why people use them, just not why people suddenly starting switching a few years ago. MySpace has always been loud and annoying. I hardly believe everyone "grew up".

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
[citation][nom]marcus_br[/nom]Let's now check all these bloated numbers:1 billion mp3 playbacks.Supposing they are each 5 megabytes (hardly), then we get 5 billion megabytes, which is basically 5 million gigabytes...[/citation]

You forgot one thing... Myspace's bloated code. It loops back on itself and throws so many useless threads that it could make a dual socket 12 core opteron server perform like a pentium 266. :p

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Social Networking, stupid N00bs.... There's this thing called REAL Life, much better, unless you have no life. Oh wait, that's what these sites were created for. Nevermind!

jerrspud

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
I tuned off the autoplay in my setting a long time ago. You can also turn on lite view so you dont have to wait for some that has a bloated page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS