MySpace: Videogames Are the Missing Puzzle Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

kezix_69

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
no, their site is slow and allows too much customization and it's just annoying. Facebook is simple and easier to use. I think the videogames on facebook are a waste of time and the quiz spam can get annoying but it's better than dealing with My space's slow cluttered site.

Most of the people I know on Facebook don't play the games like Mafia wars and such though the majority of my friends are gamers.

downer88

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Music worked well for them.

I don't know many people who like to talk about themselves endlessly, but will shut up long enough to play games!

Wayoffbase

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I think coffee makers are the missing piece from GM cars. Just put a coffee maker in each one and they will become competitive again.

G

The major failure of myspace has been the success of Google and Facebook, is the way that ads are being displayed discreet.
I don't want big banners on top of my page, and honestly, less than 1/1000 people actually click on such a banner!

I think it's not the games, it's the ads!

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
All these social networking sites are garbage, just like AIM, ICQ, Yahoo IM, and MSNIM are all shitty substitutes for a system that was better as it was already, IRC.

maigo

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
If there's some actual player interaction and not just Mafia Wars or tricking people into becoming vampires/werewolves it might just work

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
it'd have to be one hell of a game to get me to visit their website anymore often than necessary to keep up with old friends, which is generally once a month if that.

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
hmm I do not study Businnes or Marketing or PR. But I don't see a solid strategy behind this. Well it is news, but I feel ( my opinion) that would not be the correct initial way to drag users to Myspace.

First off, let's analyze how you get involve with games. In case of Facebook, games got there later, but they were very well integrated in a way that people might come across with them and start sharing they game experience (eg Mafia Wars, Yoville). Games weren't a priority in FB, they complement certain "social network experience". It works in a way like: a friends of you send an invitation, you see that other friends are involved and then you get involved. Now when you enter, you check the game...you might see score made by friends or families. In the case of Yoville, you can see their arranged rooms, item. To summarize, it compliments the social networking experience in these explained ways.

Now let's return to the myspace camp. First of all, their focus is different. Highly customizable "my own style" page where everyone can see what you have added and make comments. There is some social network experience, but not that much. Myspace is more of a "me", from what I've seen, myspace trend looks aimed at younger people (whereas facebook...heck...60ers in my family use it).

So what do we finally have? They might try to get on the gaming wagon, yet they are going on to shine only among their current user base (plus maybe a small percent of new users which will get totally attracted by this..yeah there's everyone in statistics).

My opinion is...Wouldn't be smarter to develop a more elaborated and less "me" social network experience before making games? ( Again it doesn't have to be like Facebook...Facebook used it own formula...they can come up with some innovation..their own formula). I don't have the idea...but Myspace must have some people in charge of the trends. Finally, games might cool to their current user base but it is not going to work as a main feature to attract a significant amount of users addition.

My opinion :)

rdawise

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Hmmm...myspace was first for a while because of music. That was it's hook. Facebook came back by allowing anyone use their service (among other things). Myspace personalization is a plus for some while a minus for others. If myspace loses it's "me" persona, it risks homogenizing it's to be just like facebook. If that was the case why wouldn't you just use facebook? Myspace should keep their music and "me" style, but should try to find another "hook". Games won't be it...

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Lol, Myspace is so dead its hilarious. The only people still on there are small bands dying to get attention and some band obsessed groupies. No one else bothers, its too painful and slow to navigate. Chances are MySpace will soon try to become the RAMBUS of social networking sites, relying largely on lawsuits to try to make money.

Status
Not open for further replies.