Solved! N7110 LCD display and 3D detachable card on mb

Nov 20, 2020
I have an older model n7110 laptop (2012 I think) that has the lower quality integrated Intel graphics card so I purchased a mb w/the better Invidia integrated card. Also, my LCD screen broke so I bought a new screen but while I was switching out these 2 items I noticed the LCD screen I got doesn't have the cables for the removable 3D card that's next to the Wifi card which my old machine did have and the old screen had the cables too. So my question is, do I need the 3D card for the better Nvidia mb I bought? Is the 3D card just used for the cheaper laptop that just has the integrated Intel graphics card? I'm not sure if I should return the LCD screen and get one that DOES have the cables for that removable 3D card. The better Nvidia mb has a place for the 3D card but the screen I ordered only has the 2 cables for the Wifi card. Hope someone can help me! Thanx in advance!

Solution
Yes that looks like the correct BIOS version. Remember you swapped the motherboard in the system from the original one it had, that can cause issues with components if they are run off a daughter board off the main motherboard, or if the motherboard was used it may have had bad components on it. Laptops are not built to many standards really for cabling or compatibility, once you move outside what the maker put inside a model, even a little bit, there can be issues. Even general standards like CPU sockets and mini PCIe slots can have compatibility issues in a laptop once you change from what was OEM.

Intel Centrino is the wireless. Realtek is the Ethernet port and same brand for the audio hardware.
Not sure what you mean about the 3D card, if you wanted to buy the motherboard for the faster graphics then removing that graphics card (assuming it's in an MXM socket) would make this new motherboard just like the old one. You may want to post some more details and pictures of what you bought and what you used to have.

I don't know of any laptop that has a video cable going directly to the video card, they go to a connector on the motherboard to the screen.

Nov 20, 2020
Ok, while I was watching the vid here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyR1mfzHrQk&t=496s
at 4:52 he refers to the Wifi cord Wimax card or 3D card. If you watch the vid, he only has ONE card but he refers to the second slot next to it as the 3D card. My old mb had BOTH of those cards and the display screen unit (the whole lid) only had cables/wires for one like the vid shows. So I took apart the lid, removed just the LCD part and swapped it out so's I now have 4 cables/wires and I hooked them back up to both cards. I JUST turned on the machine and it's saying it can't find the proxy settings for the internet so either I have the cards wrong or the cables wrong. Any suggestions? I tried a few other vid's but they all seem to only have ONE card in that area - not 2 like mine has.

Ok, while I was watching the vid here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyR1mfzHrQk&t=496s
at 4:52 he refers to the Wifi cord Wimax card or 3D card. If you watch the vid, he only has ONE card but he refers to the second slot next to it as the 3D card. My old mb had BOTH of those cards and the display screen unit (the whole lid) only had cables/wires for one like the vid shows. So I took apart the lid, removed just the LCD part and swapped it out so's I now have 4 cables/wires and I hooked them back up to both cards. I JUST turned on the machine and it's saying it can't find the proxy settings for the internet so either I have the cards wrong or the cables wrong. Any suggestions? I tried a few other vid's but they all seem to only have ONE card in that area - not 2 like mine has.

Ah... listen again to what he said and it will clear up the confusion. Those cables are antenna cables for the wireless.

Nov 20, 2020
Yes, I understand that now. But what's strange is why do I have TWO cards for my old screen/display and the one I bought to replace it has only cables for ONE card? That's what I'm wondering about. I've actually just removed the whole LED screen and installed it into my old display lid so that I have all 4 cables and can use both of the Wifi cards. Everything works great except now I've lost the whole network setup info. If I try to use the 'Set up a new connection or nstwork', then choose 'Set up a new network' and the box pops up to choose the wireless router or access point you want to configure' NOTHING shows up. I've even tried the 'Trouble shoot' link, it completes and says, Pproblems found - Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings'. So I went to Dell and tried to download the driver for Win7 64bit network driver, but when I enter my service tag # on any of the drivers I've found, it says they are not supported on my system so I'm now lost! Any suggestions or am I just looking in the wrong place?

Yes, I understand that now. But what's strange is why do I have TWO cards for my old screen/display and the one I bought to replace it has only cables for ONE card?

The screen you got was from a system that did not have the second wireless card so no need for the second set of wires. Unless you actually have both a WiFi and a cell data card you don't need to have both sets in the screen. Not sure what you are doing to connect to your WiFi signal, seems more complex than is needed. Just open the WiFi options and select your signal. If you don't see any, could be the card or antennas are not connected properly. Is the card seen in device manager?

Nov 20, 2020
I think the whole IO board is bad. I just got another one today so I'll install it either tomorrow or Monday, then see if everything works. Thanx for your help so far! As for opening the Wifi signal, whenever I tried that it didn't show any info other than just saying it couldn't connect. I'm hoping the IO board I got today works better. Oh and I even took the laptop apart a second time to be sure I had all the antenna wires connected so I double checked that as well. I'll post my results after I put the new IO board in. THANK YOU so much again! So I don't really need the second set of cable wires and card. Hmmm... funny it was installed and hooked up for my old, original IO board.

I think the whole IO board is bad. I just got another one today so I'll install it either tomorrow or Monday, then see if everything works. Thanx for your help so far! As for opening the Wifi signal, whenever I tried that it didn't show any info other than just saying it couldn't connect. I'm hoping the IO board I got today works better. Oh and I even took the laptop apart a second time to be sure I had all the antenna wires connected so I double checked that as well. I'll post my results after I put the new IO board in. THANK YOU so much again! So I don't really need the second set of cable wires and card. Hmmm... funny it was installed and hooked up for my old, original IO board.

Even if it the cell modem was installed and wired in the old motherboard that does not mean you need to have it there if you don't use it. It's just there as an option, it's not needed if you don't use it.

If you don't see any wireless signals but the WiFi card is in device manager with no errors that usually means the antennas are not in properly or the WiFi is disabled.

Nov 20, 2020
Thanx for the info on the second card and wiring. Wasn't really sure what it did but now I understand. I think I need to go to the device manager. I'm just so confused at this point. I'm not REAL techy and thought I could do this myself cuz I used to work at a computer repair place but that's when you used DOS! Much simpler times. I DID know quite a bit about Xp and thought I knew my way around Win7 but I haven't had a computer apart for probably 20 yrs. I DO know the guts inside a tower are basic, but maybe I'm being intimidated by the laptop? I just replaced the IO board w/the one I got and SAME issues! 2 of the 3 USB ports don't work and STILL can't get on the internet - even when I HARD wired it w/a cable to the cable box. WHAT am I doing wrong?!?! Sent the old IO board back today but I think it wasn't bad. I'm stumped and ready to take it up to the repair guys if I can't figure this out...

Nov 20, 2020
OK! I went into the device manager and for the USB prob's I see it says "Your computer doe not include enough info to properly configure and use this device. To use this device, contact your computer manufacturer to obtain a firmware or BIOS update (Code 35)" SOOOOO I went to Dell and did a search for N7110 firmware downloads. Am I in the right place for the USB driver? Here: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=fwjtd So I downloaded it and put on my external hd. Is this what I need? If so, I'll just upload it to my laptop fr4om the ex-hd.

I see I'll probably need the better driver for the Nvidia card too as it's only showing the 'Intel HD Graphics Family' driver in the device manager. I already knew this tho.

So what drivers do I need for the internet? Under Network Adapters it shows:

AnchorFree TAP-Windows Adapter V9
Bluetooth Devise (Personal Area Network)
Intel (R) Centrino (R) WiMAX 6150
Intel (R) Centrino (R) Wireless-N 1030 #2
NordLynx Tunnel
Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
TAP-NordVPN Windows Adapter V9
Teredo Tunneling Psuedo-Interface

I'm guessing it has something to do w/these 2?
Intel (R) Centrino (R) WiMAX 6150
Intel (R) Centrino (R) Wireless-N 1030 #2

So if they're already in there then what's the prob? Any suggestions and THANK YOU OH SO MUCH FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE ME and you're PATIENCE!!! I'm willing to learn if I know a bit of what I'm doing. I'm not stupid and can understand most of this stuff if I have a bit of help!

Yes that looks like the correct BIOS version. Remember you swapped the motherboard in the system from the original one it had, that can cause issues with components if they are run off a daughter board off the main motherboard, or if the motherboard was used it may have had bad components on it. Laptops are not built to many standards really for cabling or compatibility, once you move outside what the maker put inside a model, even a little bit, there can be issues. Even general standards like CPU sockets and mini PCIe slots can have compatibility issues in a laptop once you change from what was OEM.

Intel Centrino is the wireless. Realtek is the Ethernet port and same brand for the audio hardware.

Solution