Nanotech Helps Create Paper-based Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Interesting potential, but would need to see a more advanced version powering a device before I'm a believer. Or atleast some figures on what it's capable of.

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Interesting potential, but would need to see a more advanced version powering a device before I'm a believer. Or atleast some figures on what it's capable of.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Hopefully, they can be use to power electric or hybrids vehicles to bring the cost down. Right now, all the green stuffs are way over priced.

G

Neat, except for the problem that carbon nanotubes are a potent and highly invasive carcinogen.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]interesting, but how are we going to grow trees fast enough to support this technology if it takes off?[/citation]

Canada! I doubt we will be able to get this commercially for the next ten years anyways.

G

Hemp yields more cellulose per acre then trees, and it is an annual crop, no waiting 25 years for a tree to mature. There is all the paper we need.

G

They could use extra thin paper, like the one found on edible paper on cent wafers for instance.
I'd love to know more about the capacity, as it seems to me that the capacity of these batteries will probably not exceed Cd, Ni or Li-ion batteries for the same size. It'll all depend on how thin they can create this paper.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]interesting, but how are we going to grow trees fast enough to support this technology if it takes off?[/citation]
Faster growing trees like pine and bamboo are already being farmed. It is a renewable resource.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Hmm... I'm thinking that this can be integrated as a layer in your laptop's chassis. That would leave a lot more room for bigger, faster parts and/or better cooling.

A malleable battery... So many possibilities.

BartG

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
wow, awesome... think of the amount of weight saving in elec cars! love this nurdy invention stuff, keep it up dude.

G

The day a Trapper Keeper hybrids with a super computer and wipes out all of humanity is close at hand . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.