NASA Admits Stolen Laptop Contained Control Codes for ISS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Kami3k: I guess you're one of the aforemention gubbmint rejects. I never said that it should be privatised, that's even worse. Government contractors selling IT services to the government are going to be even worse than the 2nd rate people they hire already, because those are going to be the people who can't run an IT firm well enough to sell services to real customers. It doesn't surprise me that government contractors aren't any better than government employees, they probably get paid even less.

Privatization is a classic Republican idea that shady business people can provide better services to the government than the government can, and through the power of voodoo economics, do it better, cheaper, and still pay the shareholders billions. I was merely suggesting that the government keep their operation in house, but make an attempt to get workers that don't suck. The private sector was just a point of reference.

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Why would the government or anyone care if NASA were "hacked"? This laptop being stolen isn't even hacking, it's just stealing. And NASA holds no "secrets" to even worry about.

NASA hasn't made a single successful cosmological prediction or theory in forty years. They're hardly even scientists, just a bunch of theorists sitting around doing nothing these days. They're not worth protecting - they shouldn't even have jobs anymore.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]lordstormdragon[/nom]Why would the government or anyone care if NASA were "hacked"? This laptop being stolen isn't even hacking, it's just stealing. And NASA holds no "secrets" to even worry about.NASA hasn't made a single successful cosmological prediction or theory in forty years. They're hardly even scientists, just a bunch of theorists sitting around doing nothing these days. They're not worth protecting - they shouldn't even have jobs anymore.[/citation]

Uh, not sure where you have been in recent years but NASA is involved in all kinds of new discoveries and theories. Hubble is still making amazing discoveries for example. Now, I'm not sure they have any "secrets" to hide but they're certainly not as useless as you claim. Do some research before you open your hole.

maxwebb

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
hahaha... yeah, we just left the presidential nuke codes written down in a notebook that we left at starbucks... seriously?

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]You know, if government paid competitively with private enterprise, then they could attract decent talent, and not the bottom-of-the-barrel employees that allowed all of this to happen.In the end, it would eventually save taxpayer money, as smarter employees will impart efficiency, innovation and correctness on everything they touch, which save money on costly screw-ups.[/citation]

Yeah, like attracting those Micro$oft programmers; known for their excellent work...
/SARCASM

Status
Not open for further replies.