NASA Bombs the Moon and Finds Water

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I think it's fascinating. A molecule of water is a molecule of water; whether in a vast ocean or mildly dampening a plot of dust. Water = possibilities. It may help us learn where Earth's water came from since the moon is virtually unchanged since the debris that formed it were ejected from our own planet billions of years ago when earth collided with a Mars-sized body. The Moon makes a lot of sense in terms of the further exploration of space. It would be easier to take off from there. Start up costs would be huge but in the centuries to follow the benefits would be great. Earth is finite space is virtually infinite. Our future depends on our ability to find a new hospitable planet and have the technology to get there. Wouldn't we be better off trying at least?

G

Yes, I agree that NASA should be disbanded and the money be used for more important and practical things like bribing the artistic community to support political agendas, allowing the lazy and irresponsible to continue being lazy and irresponsible, rewarding failures with more cash to waste, and wasting money because it has to be spent so next year's budget won't get reduced.

Computer_Lots

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Didn't Dr. Evil already build a moon base?

A more serious note for all of you zero-growth population idiots...
I have 3 kids now and will most likely have more. If anybody creates some kind of kid-limit law like in China, just come try and take one of my kids and see what happens. Same thing that happens if you try and take a bear cub or a baby pig.

I'm gonna keep having kids because I love-em. I'm not overpopulating, I'm balancing the percentage of good, decent people to lazy and evil people. The evil (terrorists, dictators, etc.) will eventually kill each other off. There has to be somebody left.

OK. let the hateful comments commence :)

G

"That myth is actually for Dec 12th 2012 (12/12/12)"

No, the date is 12/21/2012. Research before you look foolish. I agree with your point about the universe tho.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Im dissapointed actually that they found water. I see no good coming out of this. If ppl were capable of taking advantage of something without ruining it they would take care of the water here on earth for starters. Only thing I can think of is ending up ruining the moon. Safest bet.

nitto555rchallenger

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Billion dollar rocket for an exchange of 25 gallons of water. I think I use more than that amount for showers within this week alone. This is why our space program is being cut, idiots.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]Waste of money. NASA needs to be disbanded and use the money for something else.[/citation]

I agree, we need the National Blowing Stuff Up Association.

G

So how many millions (hopefully not billions) did it cost to crash this empty rocket and spacecraft into the moon just to analyze poofs of dust/water? This is just as bad as the few million dollar earmark to find out "why pigs smell".

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
NASA didn't "bomb" the moon. This site is ostensibly frequented by geeks - show us some respect and keep the tabloid headlines at the checkout stand.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
The 13th b'ak'tun ends. The world doesn't. After that date the calendar starts a new b'ak'tun (144,000 day) cycle in the long-count. Completely such a cycle was supposed to be a celebration and had no protends of doom attached to it until some New Age movements decided they could cash in on it and glued a bunch of bullshit "prophecy" to the date. Mayans didn't think time was going to run out anytime soon. When you think about it the whole idea is as absurd as someone fearing the end of the current month and thinking that the world will end when the current of their calendar page does.

I disagree. My Far Side off the wall calendar ends on 12/31. Gary Larson obviously knows that worlds going to end!

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]It's nice, it's nice... so when are we getting flying cars? or intergalactic spaceship?[/citation]

I'll be honest, most people have a hard enough time driving a normal car, do you want elderly and pre-teens driving flying cars?

G

I believe it is always better to 'know' than to 'not know'.
The ones who 'don't want to know' are sometimes afraid the answer may affect some core belief of theirs.
The ones who 'don't want YOU to know'......now, that's something to watch out for.

carfixr44

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
@Jerk.. Theres plenty of money to go around. Without hindering nasa. You can pretend this world isn't going to crap, and becoming overpopulated at all.. You go ahead and think that if it makes you feel better. We should already have a colony on the moon. If we don't make it to space and learn to settle else were WE ALL well become the next dinosuars.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Can't wait until we build a colony on Mars.
Use insanely high power ion thrusters powered by H3 nuclear fusion to get us there in only a few days. Just build a ship so massive and powerful that we can get away with only having one or two.

To do that, we need to spend maybe even trillions to develop a proper nuclear fusion generator, much more powerful ion thrusters, and a complete moon base to first use as our test run.

Innovation is expensive, but it is worth all the costs.

G

NASA's budget is like 1% of the entire federal budget and they're pretty damn efficient with their money unlike other federal programs.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Good for them for finding water on the moon. but I doubt its anything to sustain a station, let alone have enough water to fill a well. Besides, problems with the moon base is its 3 days away (more distance time) its low gravity (still suffer muscle deteriation without having a benefit of weightlessness in construction) if located on the south pole near the water source it wont get as much sunlight as the on the light side of the moon. The moon only serves as a 2nd launch pad or a place to mount radio telescopes. It would prove to be more difficult to maintain and resupply than a space station. Course space stations have that problem of getting sucked into earth's gravity.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]carfixr44[/nom]I believe it is always better to 'know' than to 'not know'. The ones who 'don't want to know' are sometimes afraid the answer may affect some core belief of theirs.The ones who 'don't want YOU to know'......now, that's something to watch out for.carfixr44[/citation]

People say that they want the truth but the reality is that they don't; they want to live at the halfway point between ignorance and knowledge.

Why do I say that? Because truth equals responsibility, and you don't meet many people who willingly take responsibility nowdays.

Status
Not open for further replies.