NASA: Chile Quake Could Have Shifted Earth's Axis

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]zehpavora[/nom]Why does the time discount has to happen on a Saturday? Everyone hates Mondays, so why not shorten THEM?[/citation]

Why? Carpe Diem! Make every micro second count!

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I believe if the change of the length of the day is due to the mass redistribution of planet, this change will most likely to stay till the next big change (another big quake or....)

So in theory, we did have a shorter Monday this week,,,, actually everyday will be 1.26 microseconds shorter from now on till the next big quake....;)

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Well guess what that is why we call it mother nature. considering that us(humans) are actually more keen to a 23 hour day (look at studies) I dont think it will make any difference. And one big snow fall up in the mountians does the same thing. (Also mega sized dams) but as the water(weight) levels back out guess what we are still spining the same speed we were.

No it will not throw Earth off corse (It was an internal interference not external I already saw threads like this in other forums).

gumbedamit

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
There have been mega quakes in recent times, did they shift the earths axis? or, are they trying to prepare us for 2012, hmmmmm

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
It looks like Man Made Global Warming has found a successor to media scares. Next it will be if we don't cut manufacturing people will float off the face of the earth.

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
the earthquake theory is applicable, think about this if a fly landed on the "Queen Mary 2" the ship would have too list, so an earthquake shaking an entire plate would have to change the earth no matter how big they are (earthquake)

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
So if any redistribution in mass offsets the earths axis, does that mean everytime I take a dump, it is putting the earth in more and more danger?

marcus_br_

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Janey,

It doesn't sound cool when you joke around saying "rocked Chile".
It doesn't sound cool either when people care about shortening they Mondays at other person's lives.

This earthquake costed over 800 lives already...

redplanet_returns

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
[citation][nom]ender21[/nom]Was it Magnitude 8.8 or Richter 8.8? For some reason I thought the two scales were different.[/citation]

richter scale of magnitude 8.8...honestly i don't know of ANY other measurements for earthquake

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I hope there is not a super volcano hidden in Chile's ground that we are unaware of. That would be a very bad sign.

slaphappy

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
[citation][nom]ender21[/nom]Was it Magnitude 8.8 or Richter 8.8? For some reason I thought the two scales were different.[/citation]
There is no such thing as "Richter 8.8". Magnitude is a measurement of the Richter scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.