NASA Finds Alien DNA in Californian Lake

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]shoota[/nom]Just proves the existence of God even more.[/citation]

Agreed. There is certainly no evidence that the Great Spaghetti Monster *didn't* create this new form of life so he definately must have.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I believe it's ignorant to think life only consists of what human scientist thought. The universe is a big place and mother nature has lots of tricks up her sleeves.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]manwithgills[/nom]Unfortunately no one makes mention that NASA probably spent 127 million dollars to discover this. What a waste![/citation]

Finding out that there is a form of life on earth that evolved entirely separate from our own? Buddy that would be a bargain at 126 BILLION dollars.

This aint a fork in the tree where a monkey got an opposible thumb. This is a fork in the tree back when the concept of a cell wall and nucleus was still new.

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]I believe you're reading too much into it. Also, given that over 95% of this galaxy has been bombarded in gamma radiation from various novas, neutron star and black hole collisions, and other astrophysical phenomena that life can't possibly exist as much as normal people keep thinking it does. Physicists understand that 95% of the galaxy is uninhabitable, normal people don't. Just the fact that we exist is such a crap shoot that it certainly can't be an accident. The universe is just too hostile.[/citation] your failing to understand that 5% of the galaxy is millions of stars and billions of planets(http://www.astronomycafe.net/qadir/q76.html). Besides your full of poo, show me one paper where a scientist has said 95% of the galaxy is uninhabitable. I'm a "normal"
person and have a fairly firm grasp on things like this, its you who do not. And as for your "crap shoot" comment... you can call intelligent design anything you want its still easier the disprove then gravity. KEEP YOUR JESUS OUT OF BIG BOY TALK.

TheRockMonsi

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
[citation][nom]jarnts[/nom]I for one, welcome our new arsenic based overlords[/citation]

If they were our overlords, you'd figure they'd be the ones discovering us, not the other way around. That's how I see it anyway.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]yellowblue[/nom]Bad news to environmentalists. Now we have to maintain the lake to be polluted to save the newly discovered life form.[/citation]

That's has nothing to with being an environmentalist, retard.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]mr_tuel[/nom]You can't really call it polluted if the arsenic is the reason that life exists in that biosphere. That's like calling C02 a pollutant...oh wait[/citation]

CO2 is a pollutant.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Lets not loose sight of the basics of this DNA. Having arsenic as part of the building block, it opens up the possibilities that we don't need too look at earth like planets to find life, but perhaps unearthlike.

Imagine species that breathe helium and drink methane and eat Lithium. Proof that you don't need Earth features means that life can exist on Venus, saturn, ect but in different forms. We can now include planets in distant star systems that we may have previously checked off as (un-inhabitable)

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]kingssman[/nom]Lets not loose sight of the basics of this DNA. Having arsenic as part of the building block, it opens up the possibilities that we don't need too look at earth like planets to find life, but perhaps unearthlike.Imagine species that breathe helium and drink methane and eat Lithium. Proof that you don't need Earth features means that life can exist on Venus, saturn, ect but in different forms. We can now include planets in distant star systems that we may have previously checked off as (un-inhabitable)[/citation]

True, which is why this type of DNA was thought to be on the moons of Saturn or other planets entirely. To find it on Earth makes the possiblity of life even greater since it's not just Earth like planets that can have life anymore.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Wow, majority of you wouldn't pass a high-school level science test. Go back to patching your buggy windows peecee's, and leave the science to those with brains.

tallguy1618

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
Reminds me of that Star Trek episode where they find a silicon-based lifeform that can move in rock as easily as we move in air

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Wow, majority of you wouldn't pass a high-school level science test. Go back to patching your buggy windows peecee's, and leave the science to those with brains.[/citation]

How are you not banned yet is beyond me. All you do is make trolling posts.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Imagine if this bacteria got into humans maybe 2012 arsenic bacteria grows like crazy due to man polluting the earth bacteria gets into man food chain and kills him off that would make a great movie.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]serendipiti[/nom]Well, Arsenic on bacterya DNA which lives in an Arsenic lake ? It's not that strange (there are lots of comlex DNA "procedures" and "magic"). I could be some case of evolution and not a complete rebirth of life. Some other bacteryas from deep seas with vulcanoes need no sun to live, and since then I thought that they were searching just for water to find live.[/citation]

Bacteria that live by heated sulfer vents deep underwater are not entirely different from other species. They just aren't photsynthetic, they are chemosynthetic, meaning they get their energy from chemicals, rather than sunlight causing a reaction in them, like plants.

This bacteria is far different from any other thing found to date, granted it's not monumental, but it's vastly different than finding another new bacteria.

G

NASA, "Michael Jackson is now proven as an alien and he has gone home."

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
A very meaningful discovery to say the least, but I think the gratuitous use of the word "alien" is a misleading ploy to grab attention and shock value either by reporting news venues or NASA themselves and it could not be more wrongly used.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
ok people why is no one asking the common sense question here? WHY THE HELL IS NASA LOOKING FOR EXTRA TERRESTRIAL LIFE IN A LAKE IN CALIFORNIA? hello? Bueller? the National Aeronautics and Space Administration should be concerning itself with Aeronautics and Space... not lakes in Kauleeforneeah

Status
Not open for further replies.