NASA Monitors Hunk of Junk Headed for ISS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Considering that it would be 100% fatal for all on board if it came in contact with any of the shuttle or station (except maybe the very end of a solar cell) they take this sort of thing very seriously. The good thing about the station's relatively low orbit is that it is in a range where decay happens relatively quickly (on the order of a few years) so it only has to worry about new or rapidly changing debris.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]I know you were making a joke, but the one thing you don't want to do is make MORE debris in orbital space. What would be really good is if we could figure out a way to mount some sort of weapon (such as a recoiless ice cannon), that could be used to shoot at passing junk to hopefully knock it into a decaying orbit. If you miss, the ice projectile will quickly sublime so it won't add to the problem.[/citation]

Umm...isn't the temp in space like -200C? So wouldn't the ice still be there? I don't see how it would sublimate quickly, it will eventually melt(?) due to heat/radiation from the Sun.

IncinX

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006
Their thumbs are probably crippled from all those years of space invaders. How can they possibly expect to shoot it down?

DejaVuBoy

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
Here we have a fantastic example of what could happen after a "space war", millions of left-over projectiles circling the earth at speeds 10-20 times faster than a bullet that represent instant death for any craft that tries to fly through - an effective end to safe space travel from Earth. Amazing are the bastards in the aerospace industry that have the gall to build cluster rockets and such in the name of "national defense".

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Mr_Man[/nom][citation][nom]jerther[/nom]Can't they just shoot it, Asteroids style?[/citation]
One word: debris.[/citation]

yeah? in Asteroids when you shoot it it breaks in to debris, then you just shoot the debris!

I think your underetemating Asteroids' merit as a space emergency management simulator.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Umm...isn't the temp in space like -200C? So wouldn't the ice still be there? I don't see how it would sublimate quickly, it will eventually melt(?) due to heat/radiation from the Sun.[/citation]
Don't forget, there are two components that determine when something will change state: temperature and pressure. As you increase altitude, the pressure decreases and so does the temperature required to make water boil. 100 degrees Celcius (212 F) is the boiling point of water at sea level.

In space, the pressure is nearly zero, so the boiling point is very low (actually, in space, water will go directly from a solid to a gas if the temperature is high enough). In orbital space, especially on the side of the earth facing the sun, the temperature is plenty high enough for small chunks of ice to quickly vaporize.

mitch074

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Some time ago, I watched a Japanese "realistic" sci-fi cartoon called Planetes. It follows the daily life of a space debris removal section (since this activity doesn't generate any profit, the pay is bad, work condition are terrible, and the only ones that stay on the team are real misfits).

In short, there might be space-trained, EVA-qualified trashmen up there one of these days.

radium69

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]I know how NASA feels. I barely dodged an encounter with my horrible ex girlfriend today, by about 2 miles. I might need to relocate.[/citation]

Made my day ;)!

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Andraxxus[/nom]Very soon we will have the Rings of Earth made out of debris.[/citation]

It's a common misapprehension to think that when you hear about the floating garbage patch in the ocean, or orbiting debris, that your mind conjures up images of a floating island of trash or a junkyard in space. However, if you were to actually go up there, your reaction would probably be along the lines of, "So where is all this orbiting debris I was hearing about?"

There's stuff up there, but it only ever becomes a problem once in a while. If you were up there, even for a few months, you still would be unlikely to even see any. As for Earth having rings of trash... not likely. There is maybe a few hundred tons of "trash" in relatively stable orbit. This includes everything from satelites which no longer function to the occasional wrench dropped by NASA astronauts. Planetary rings occur when a moon is within the Roche limit of a planet. The tidal forces rip the moon apart into rubble and that becomes a ring around the planet. Even a small moon weighs thousands of giga-tons! That is many orders of magnitude difference in mass between what we've put up there and what is needed to create a plantary ring. So there is really a zero chance that we will ever create trash rings around our planet.

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]I know how NASA feels. I barely dodged an encounter with my horrible ex girlfriend today, by about 2 miles. I might need to relocate.[/citation]

Yeah..and the worst part is...these girls come faster than the debris.

Status
Not open for further replies.