NASA Moon Camera Lawsuit Settled Out Of Court

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
And the heroic astronaut gets no compensation whatsoever for his troubles, and the camera he saved from destruction will be donated to clear the bad press NASA got.
What a load of bullshit.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
I wonder how a useless 16mm movie camera is going to affect NASA to such an extent. Sure, other opposing countries in terms of space exploration might get their hands on it, but seriously, it's a tiny camera! Even if they build their own and use it for space exploration, wouldn't that allow more data to be gathered and further advance our knowledge of astronomy and science? Isn't that what NASA was built upon?

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
I really didn't like the word plays in this article; they were very silly and completely unnecessary.

I also don't think NASA should have really gone to court with a former moon lander over a camera they never cared about. That also is unnecessary.

tallywho

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
no joke it was our tax dollars that funded the camera in the first place along with the whole space program. Sooooooooooo we say let him keep the camera, quit acting like 2-year olds. the camera wouldn't have been built in the first place if it wasn't for the people in this country that supported you. You act like the keys to NASA control center are inside that thing.

joz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Whoever buys it, will test it for moon dust (yes, moon dust) and prove if it was ever on the moon, or not.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]AbdullahG[/nom]I wonder how a useless 16mm movie camera is going to affect NASA to such an extent. Sure, other opposing countries in terms of space exploration might get their hands on it, but seriously, it's a tiny camera! Even if they build their own and use it for space exploration, wouldn't that allow more data to be gathered and further advance our knowledge of astronomy and science? Isn't that what NASA was built upon?[/citation]

i thought nasa was built on, and i quote "**** the russians, we will do this better and rub their faces in it on a global scale."

[citation][nom]tallywho[/nom]no joke it was our tax dollars that funded the camera in the first place along with the whole space program. Sooooooooooo we say let him keep the camera, quit acting like 2-year olds. the camera wouldn't have been built in the first place if it wasn't for the people in this country that supported you. You act like the keys to NASA control center are inside that thing.[/citation]

ever wonder about the irs?
lets look at that word
the irs...
theirs

yea, you kind of see the tax payers funded things being greedy when the people who collect are called theirs.

[citation][nom]joz[/nom]Whoever buys it, will test it for moon dust (yes, moon dust) and prove if it was ever on the moon, or not.[/citation]

i honestly believe we went, but you make a good point, it could be conclusively proven if we went or not.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
* this may double post, sorry if it does.
[citation][nom]AbdullahG[/nom]I wonder how a useless 16mm movie camera is going to affect NASA to such an extent. Sure, other opposing countries in terms of space exploration might get their hands on it, but seriously, it's a tiny camera! Even if they build their own and use it for space exploration, wouldn't that allow more data to be gathered and further advance our knowledge of astronomy and science? Isn't that what NASA was built upon?[/citation]

i thought nasa was built on, and i quote "(bleep) the russians, we will do this better and rub their faces in it on a global scale."

[citation][nom]tallywho[/nom]no joke it was our tax dollars that funded the camera in the first place along with the whole space program. Sooooooooooo we say let him keep the camera, quit acting like 2-year olds. the camera wouldn't have been built in the first place if it wasn't for the people in this country that supported you. You act like the keys to NASA control center are inside that thing.[/citation]

ever wonder about the irs?
lets look at that word
the irs...
theirs

yea, you kind of see the tax payers funded things being greedy when the people who collect are called theirs.

[citation][nom]joz[/nom]Whoever buys it, will test it for moon dust (yes, moon dust) and prove if it was ever on the moon, or not.[/citation]

i honestly believe we went, but you make a good point, it could be conclusively proven if we went or not.

G

wtf, why should he get to keep the camera and pawned it at some auction house for cash? the camera belonged to NASA, this dude decided to keep it, then tried to pawn in 40 years later. fuck off, space memorabilia belongs to the people, NASA did the right thing to take it, give it to a smithsonian so everybody can look at it instead of some snob british baron in his mansion.

and the dude got to go to space, i would go to space for free if somebody offered, no need to call me heroic.

mrmike_49

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]And the heroic astronaut gets no compensation whatsoever for his troubles, and the camera he saved from destruction will be donated to clear the bad press NASA got.What a load of bullshit.[/citation]

Yep!
It will take awhile for NASA to live it down

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
And the heroic astronaut gets no compensation whatsoever for his troubles, and the camera he saved from destruction will be donated to clear the bad press NASA got.What a load of bullshit.

Hahaha, i am sure Mr Mitchel got a compensation, because i guess, he had a good lawsuit from his side about the ownership and the chances were 50-50 to ridicule NASA. I guess he was compensated well enough for not going to court. And good for him, it is sad to hear an astronaut to have financial issues, these people work for a lot of years for just 2-3 missions then most of them go on retirement..

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Also, just to add,
imagine if that camera had some footage of ...something strange and..nasa didn't want it go public from the auction buyer? (saw some X-files episodes lately hehehe)

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I wonder how a useless 16mm movie camera is going to affect NASA to such an extent. Sure, other opposing countries in terms of space exploration might get their hands on it, but seriously, it's a tiny camera!
Nah... It's not that tiny. It was the 70's, after all.

Maybe there was something recorded on it. :) Something that the government doesn't want us to know about. An orgy on the moon perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.