NASA to Reveal 'Astrobiology Discovery' Thursday

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Wow - Xenu wasn't just L. Ron Hubbard on an acid trip... Color me embarrassed :)

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
What? the Universe is only 6,000 years old so whatever they found was planted by Satan to fool us all into not believing in our lord GOD!!!! (sarcasm off)

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]sirmorluk[/nom]A large black monolith orbiting Jupiter?[/citation]

You beat me to it.

NASA needs to start the press conference with a photo of the big freaking monolith and just stand there. People would be freaking out.

Truth is, it will probably be that they found some more building blocks for life. Not life...just the stuff that should be able to sustain life. (as we understand from an earthly perspective)

G

ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS EXCEPT EUROPA. ATTEMPT NO LANDINGS THERE

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I would love to see evidence of any other [type of] life form; something that would show conclusively that Catholics and other religious zealots are irrelevant poo-bags.

princeofdreams

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
I doubt it is more evidence of microbiological life forms, we have already got evidence from those asteroids that originated from Mars. Releasing notes saying hey we have discovered more is hardly going to change the way we think in our search for ET life.

I also doubt that NASA are finally going to admit to contact with other species, so what the release is, IS hopefully going to be interesting. Personally I think we are being slowly introduced to the idea of alien visitation, NASA doing this, the UN looking to appoint an ambassador to alien affairs, all the current growth in sightings etc, makes me feel like were being spoon fed BS so that we don't react badly when ships are eventually flying over every major city

G

Wouldn't be surprised if the message is about the discovery of a faulty wire in the main SETI computers, so all this time we actually were listening to static - but now we can start

G

I think it's fair to say that most humans are too busy squabbling amongst themselves about whose God wears the better hat to give a hoot about things that genuinely matter.

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I bet it's just something fell off the Earth onto our moon... We are at the center of the Universe, aliens is cannonfotter. No blaster goon's will ever wanna challenge our mighty hypersonic rockets.

PhilFrisbie

Distinguished
[citation][nom]badjaw[/nom]this is to silence those Creationist who thinks of a Divine Being who created life on earth. if this press con will present a solid proof of extraterrestrial life, then darwin is probably right.[/citation]

Not all Christians believe God only created life on earth. I believe God created many earth-like planets.

chunkymonster

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
[citation][nom]badjaw[/nom]this is to silence those Creationist who thinks of a Divine Being who created life on earth. if this press con will present a solid proof of extraterrestrial life, then darwin is probably right.[/citation]

Given that the Divine Being created the universe and everything in it, not just the Earth and all life on it, any proof of extraterrestrial life is just proof of Divine Providence. Even if there is solid proof of extraterrestrial life, Darwin was and is still wrong.

dillyflump

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
[citation][nom]chunkymonster[/nom]Given that the Divine Being created the universe and everything in it, not just the Earth and all life on it, any proof of extraterrestrial life is just proof of Divine Providence. Even if there is solid proof of extraterrestrial life, Darwin was and is still wrong.[/citation]

Perhaps the search and belief in some form of divine being is what has been holding back the human race for millennia. I personally don't believe in any form of god or diety being responsible for the creation of the universe and everything contained within it.

Ancient human civilization did not understand or have the scientific knowledge to comprehend most things that happenned in the past. Back then the only logical solution was to percieve that a divine being created or caused something to happen.

josh_b

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Yep - if you don't understand something yet, make a story up since it's too frightening for weak minds to leave loose ends. Ironically lack of knowledge has helped religious leaders keep their followers in check for thousands of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.