Native laptop resolution

chrismv48

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
This is probably a silly question, but I want to make sure I have a clear understanding before I buy anything.

The resolution that is spec'd on a laptop means the number of pixels in the laptop screen, right? So if I plan on plugging a laptop into a 1080P monitor whose native resolution is 1900x1200, will it run at the laptop's native resolution, or will it run at the monitor's resolution?

For example, I'm thinking of purchasing a Lenovo Ideapad that has a 15.6" screen and has a resolution of 1366x768. Will I be limited to that resolution while I'm using the external monitor, or will I be able to view the monitor at 1900x1200? What about if I'm using a dual monitor system with both the external and laptop screens--what resolutions for each could I get in that case? Would it depend on the video card/integrated graphics?

Thanks for the help...

Solution
As long as your display adapter, (integrated, discrete, usb, whatever) has the capacity to run it at its native resolution, the computer can adjust to what ever display you have connected up. If you are in "mirror" mode, it will be limited to what ever display has the lowest resolution. if running with only one display active, it can do what ever that monitor/display can handle.

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
As long as your display adapter, (integrated, discrete, usb, whatever) has the capacity to run it at its native resolution, the computer can adjust to what ever display you have connected up. If you are in "mirror" mode, it will be limited to what ever display has the lowest resolution. if running with only one display active, it can do what ever that monitor/display can handle.

Solution

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
randomstar is correct.

I have an old laptop with a 1024 X 768 screen but when I connect it to my HD TV and close the laptop lid (or choose to display on the external screen only). I can just adjust the resolution to 1920 X 1080. (Full HD)

If I display on both my laptop and HDTV using the "Clone" setting, it will only take up 1024X768 pixels on my HDTV leaving black bars (empty space).

If I use both and use the Extend my desktop to this monitor I can specify the monitor resolution for both. Meaning 1024X768 on my laptop and 1920X1080 on my HDTV.