Native Support for Android Coming to Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
YES YES YES!!! Ah I've been waiting for this!!! If devs can use this environment to push Android software development further, we should expect a lot more quality apps soon!

pclee

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
I've been making Android Apps for a week now since buying a new phone (it's more fun that playing games) and I haven't had any real problems with the emulator, but I would like to try this software. I just loves me some appinventor it's taken over Dragon Age 2 as my favorite pass time. I've never had so much fun with hand held electronic device...that vibrates.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]Why? Seriously, I'm NOT being negative as it's an honest question. There really is no need other than a wet dream for people that like to tinker[/citation]

Or greatly improved app development - have you used the Android SDK? I've seen that emulator practically grind to a halt.

Prescott_666

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
People unclear on the concept

"There really is no need other than a wet dream for people that like to tinker"

Do you know who this site is for?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
This is what happens when you make open source software

People find a way for it to run on their Windows PC because they are more comfortable with it

The rise of Android Apps will eventually give way to a whole new breed of Windows tablet users running Android Apps.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]Why? Seriously, I'm NOT being negative as it's an honest question. There really is no need other than a wet dream for people that like to tinker[/citation]

How about a huge edge over the competition? How long do you think it will take to get Apple to allow their apps to run in an competitors environment?

Just one more comment... Picture your favorite app ....on an HTPC being viewed on a 52" Samsung 240hz 3D LED.

digitalvampire

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Fantastic!! We can now run the stripped down version versions of the applications we've had for years on our desktops ... on our desktop ... wait ... something isn't right here.

First of all, I'm sure this is a fun project for these guys, and they probably will get bought out (more than likely by Intel, just because they want to move x86 into the booming mobile market, and what better way than to just make all the applications work w/o modification and recompilation), but be realistic w/ your expectations.

Secondly, this may make development for Android slightly easier. Fantastic, more power to them and it's (we'll call them) developers, but not a SINGLE application that runs on Android (ie Java sitting on top of Linux) can hold a candle to it's desktop counterpart. Lie to yourself all you want, but they are in two completely different leagues. Time wasters (Angry Birds, etc), maybe, but any 'big boy' application, not a chance.

Doom3klr

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Sounds good but what they really need to make is Windows 7 that will run in Android so that one could run windows programs and games etc on Android phones and tablets.

Status
Not open for further replies.