Need a cheap way to lower volume for headphones

TDT-Alpha

Honorable
Jul 21, 2013
Hi!
I have a PC with Creative Sound Blaster Omni 5.1,
I use Superlux HD 668B headphones for video production.
The thing is the volume is too high, and lowering it in Windows reduces dramatically the dynamics of it (using win7)
I thought of buying a cheap headphone amp and use it on very low volume.

*I measured the difference I want and it is around subtracting 6-10db

My budget is under 60$, what do you recommend?

Solution
The cheapest option would likely be to get a volume control containing a simple potentiometer. A search on Amazon for "3.5mm volume" turns up a number of examples...

https://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=3.5mm+volume

There are inline volume controls on short extension cables, or little boxes with a knob on them. I have had one of those cheap extensions with a dial for years, and they are probably the more convenient option if you intend to use them with a portable device, though I imagine their quality can vary. They can do a decent job of reducing the volume without hurting the signal to noise ratio though. Lately, I've mainly been using the volume control built into my monitor, but I still use the inline control for other...

cryoburner

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
The cheapest option would likely be to get a volume control containing a simple potentiometer. A search on Amazon for "3.5mm volume" turns up a number of examples...

https://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=3.5mm+volume

There are inline volume controls on short extension cables, or little boxes with a knob on them. I have had one of those cheap extensions with a dial for years, and they are probably the more convenient option if you intend to use them with a portable device, though I imagine their quality can vary. They can do a decent job of reducing the volume without hurting the signal to noise ratio though. Lately, I've mainly been using the volume control built into my monitor, but I still use the inline control for other devices and computers.

Solution