Need a good Anti-Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memhorder

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
I'm looking at my Norton control panel and it says 47 days so I need a suggestion for a different program. Norton doesn't seen very good. The Identity Safe crashes constantly and the tune-up feature. I'm not sure if it's good to be turning the computer off while it performs those tasks.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I have used the free versions of both Avast! and AVG. I have a slight preference for AVG. Also, download and install the free version of Malware Bytes.
Depending on who your ISP is, they may offer one of the commercial AV products "free" as part of your subscription.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I had to restore a friend's laptop to defaults, it was so badly infected. She had Kaspersky on it. None of them are perfect, but all of them are "good." A multi-layer approach (e.g. including something like Malware Bytes) is the safest approach.

Memhorder

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
ok. Maybe Bitdefender. Looks promising and is cheap. I don't want to use free on the new rig. Does anyone know if the tuneup utilities are bad for ssd? I know your not supposed to defrag them but will trim do the registry cleanup? I'm not sure. I went with windows 7 as 8 had sooo many bad reviews and PC builder considered 7 an upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.