Need a laptop for everday use and music programs. Ideas?

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Hey guys, I'm looking for a laptop for college work and dj'ing on the side. I'm looking for a newer laptop (a model from this year or last year to be exact).

I'd like to spend no more than $600 USD, but I'm open to anything near that price.

I want a backlit led 15" screen. It needs to have a cdrw/dvd drive for copying cd's and dvd's. Also I'm looking for one that has no less than a 500GB HDD.

I need it for everyday and college use, and it needs to also handle all my music programs (Serato, Ableton, Fruity Loops)

I will not be gaming on this laptop.

I'd like to have 6 hours of battery life, or close to that.

I'd like to see the laptop in person before I buy it but if I can't it's no biggie.

I'm open to any brand of laptop as long as the build quality is sturdy and the laptop will last me for years. Glossy or matte to me isn't really a huge deal, if I like a laptop and it's glossy I'll just have to live with that, so I'm not restricting my choices based on screen type.

Got any suggestions for me? Thanks guys!

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
This is just a side question, but do they make laptops in the price range that I listed that use better sound cards? Only because I'll be doing a lot of music editing and dj'ing, I'm wondering if there are laptops with dedicated sound cards in them. Thanks!