Need A New 13.3 Incher!

sunny27

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
hi!
i've got about 1600$ to spare and i need a good,powerful and most importantly and well built and sturdy laptop which should be capable of rough handling and loads of bumps!I am from india and i am looking to take my laptop along with me to the most inhospitable places in india -- the treks along the himalayan foothills--hence the emphasis on ruggedness.
i need a 13.3 incher(specifically due to portability) with extremely good battery life and a dedicated video card so that i can play games.
i need immediate replies please!!
any brand will do!

Solution

Well, the Latitude e4300 doesn't have an option for dedicated graphics either nor is there an ATG version (at least not in the US). If you want to play games at all, it's going to be the XPS 13 or the Sony Vaio I linked as well. The problem that you are running into is that most 13'' laptops don't come with dedicated graphics, so your options are extremely limited from the start.

There is also the HP Probook 4310, but it isn't as powerful as the Dell or...

sunny27

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
a more performance oriented laptop which can handle my programming needs--linux/helix data recovery linux--e-fense,photoshop--cod4-mw,virtualization software and hd movies.
it needs to be built out of good materials and should be extremely strong.

sunny27

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
i have used the dell xps i never liked it much---the dell vostro 1320 doesn't give me a dedicated video card---i was looking at the latitude e4300 or something--which one out of the 3 laptops here would be the best suited? do i get the atg option ofr the 13.3 inch latitude?

Well, the Latitude e4300 doesn't have an option for dedicated graphics either nor is there an ATG version (at least not in the US). If you want to play games at all, it's going to be the XPS 13 or the Sony Vaio I linked as well. The problem that you are running into is that most 13'' laptops don't come with dedicated graphics, so your options are extremely limited from the start.

There is also the HP Probook 4310, but it isn't as powerful as the Dell or Sony: http://h71016.www7.hp.com/ctoBases....=$529.00&familyviewgroup=2173&viewtype=Matrix

Solution

Based on your requirements and price range, yes. They aren't as sturdy as say a Panasonic Toughbook, but they should be able to handle some where and tear. That and they also cost a lot less than a Toughbook.

I was also looking at some IBM Thinkpads, but none of them really fit either your budget or your desire to play games. If you have other systems that you think might fit the bill, post links and I'll let you know how they compare.