Need a new dedicated graphics laptop

darxsys

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
Hi everybody. Beginning October, I will start programming with CUDA and I'm looking for a new laptop with as good a graphics card as possible(Nvidia of course) with the price no more than $950-$1000. Additionally, Intel is a must. The rest is not that big of a deal. I've been looking around for a couple of weeks, but just can't decide what to get. Maybe the most obvious pick would be this one from Asus, but it has some negative reviews so I'm trying to get some advice from the best guys out there - you here. Thanks a bunch!

http://www.amazon.com/N56VM-AB71-Full-HD-15-6-Inch-1080P-Laptop/dp/B008HDOEG8/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1346979375&sr=1-3&keywords=asus+n56vz

edit: I'm sorry for not putting the faq part into my post. Thought it wouldn't be necessary, but here it is:

1. What is your budget? < $1000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15,6"

3. What screen resolution do you want? As high as I can get. No less that 13XX.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Desktop.

5. How much battery life do you need? Doesn't really matter.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? low, medium.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) programming ^^

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? not much, even 320GB is fine.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. amazon, newegg, whatever.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3-4 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? dvd writer.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I don't like HP because of bad experiences my friends had with them/

13. What country do you live in? USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

darxsys

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

Actually never heard of Sager before today when I was searching through TH forums, so I'm kind of sceptic. Maybe Lenovo Y580?

darxsys

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
You really don't need a 1000$ for this.
Do you know which version of Cuda you neeD?

the newest i can get since it is a "scientific purpose" (actually it would serve to analyse and simulate protein interaction and that kind of stuff on a smaller scale). i mean, it's not that decisive (cuda version), it's just the fact that since I'm buying a new laptop, I wanna get something for the long term and not just cuda programming, although it is a priority.