Layar LED 14" HD (1366 x 768)
2GB DDR3
500GB Hardisk
DVD RW
USB 3.0
Wifi
6 cell Li-ion 4700mAh
HD Webcamera

What do you think? do you have another laptop in mind?

thank you :)

protoman07

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

Unfortunately most computers these days are coming with Windows 8 and most people either can't stand the new look/feel or are unfamiliar with it which makes for a shaky user experience. If that is a problem, I would recommend sticking with the Asus you had originally mentioned. I have an Asus netbook and I love it. Asus is a good brand so it's not like you are going to get a piece of crap. If Windows 8 isn't a problem, then you can get cheaper, better spec'd laptop from Dell or HP. See the links below. I would try to stick with a 64bit OS (as it is more versatile), at least 500GB of hard drive space, 4GB+ memory, and a dual core processor with at least 2.4GHz+ processor. With Intel, the higher number "Core i3,i5,i7" is simply a better processor as you get higher in number, but also increases in price as well. For a $550 limit, you are pretty much looking at Core i3 and maybe entry level Core i5 (if you are lucky).

On a side note, I tend to get a set of specs that I am looking for, as well as a price, and go to each of the major manufacturers websites and look to see what computer best meets those specs. I think take each one of the models from each manufacturer and compare them using either Excel or just looking at each webpage side by side. Once I narrow it down to 2 PC's I find the differences and see what I am more willing to live without and choose that model. I just find this the easiest way to do this as there are soooooooo many different models out there it can get overwhelming.

Dell: https://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/inspiron-laptops?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn
HP: http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/Laptops?SearchParameter=%26%40QueryTerm%3D*%26categoryusagelaptops_dte2%3DHigh%2BPerformance%26CategoryUUIDLevelX%3DjeEQxXjbj14AAAE0syxcZzOW%26%40Sort.TieredPricing%3D0&ShopByUse=High+Performance

curtomo788

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013

I have an Asus Notebook and I love it with win 8 which I love too. I agree with everything you say too, I think you should give windows 8 a go I think its much better I remember when XP come out and everyone thought it looked rubbish because of the interface turns out XP was Windows most purchased OS and I think it will happen windows 8. Asus are an amazing brand if not Asus go for Toshiba if you can I spent £300 on mine and it does everything I need it to do if you want a laptop that's a bit more out of your price rang save up that extra bit more never settle for less because you will kick your own ass for doing it as iv done it many times and then regretting it haha

curtomo788

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
to be fair for what your doing the specs are fine for what your doing on it. better specs than mine but for what I use it for is perfect and it does more than what you need it for.