Need Advice

pcenvy88

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
I need help picking out a receiver for my brother in laws birthday. I want to spend somewhere between 300-400 dollars and am looking for a nice looking box with best sound possible. 5.1 is enough don't know much about home audio though.

Solution
in general i'd avoid sony receivers under $500 as i've heard there have been issues. not sure if they ever improved on quality yet or not.

yamaha and pioneer are pretty decent manufacturers.

onkyo is okay for a low-grade solution.

--

you should try to figure out what type of inputs he needs and make sure the receiver is capable of handling them all.

i paid a bit more for mine because i like the on screen display of controls and settings instead of playing around on the front panel of the receiver.
in general i'd avoid sony receivers under $500 as i've heard there have been issues. not sure if they ever improved on quality yet or not.

yamaha and pioneer are pretty decent manufacturers.

onkyo is okay for a low-grade solution.

--

you should try to figure out what type of inputs he needs and make sure the receiver is capable of handling them all.

i paid a bit more for mine because i like the on screen display of controls and settings instead of playing around on the front panel of the receiver.

Solution

pcenvy88

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
Does pioneer make any receivers in that price range? I thought they were mostly high end stuff... I'm not looking for something for music as much as I am surround sound for movies/sporting events.

jacobboe89

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
i think i would go for yamaha myself . onkyo and sony and pioneer ALL have one issue or another , there are reviews written by people who bought them on amazon.com . pioneer has a few models that have issues with the hdmi portion of the receiver , onkyo is/has become a lousy company , and i never have been to fond of onkyo . you said you were thinking birthday present , maybe a gift card or cash for something would be good. another thing that a lot of people don't think of is the company does not allways have to honor the warranty if you don't buy from an authorized dealer . what is an authorized dealer ? i am not sure . but i am sure that many of the internet stores aren't .

pcenvy88

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011

I'm sure if you buy from newegg the warranty is covered... Anyways, I'm planing on buying a YAMAHA receiver after the info I gathered here and through reviews. THanks guys :)