Need basic laptop for newbie

basicuser1

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
I am buying a laptop for someone who has used an Android tablet for a couple of years, which was their first ever device and first introduction to the internet.

The only usage will be online shopping websites, Youtube, pop3 e-mail, and storing/playing a couple of hundred downloaded mp3s through a bluetooth speaker.

I was looking at some cheap laptops like Lenovo 110S-11IBR but having read a little about ChromeOS I am thinking a Chromebook would be the thing for this person. They seem to be getting on fine with their Android tablet.

They do not want to get a second hand laptop.

It does not need to last years. If the usage expands, which I do not think will happen, I can get something better in a year.

I have never bought or used anything this low so am quite unfamiliar with it. Any thoughts on what I am saying? Suggestions on a model?

Thanks.

Edit: Forgot to add:

1. What is your budget?
----Money not a problem just do not want to spend more than needed. Want to keep it as cheap as possible obviously.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
----- 11-12 inch screen

3. What screen resolution do you want?
------ 720p or better

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
------- It will be moved around the home

5. How much battery life do you need?
------ 4 hours or better

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
------- No games

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
------- Just the basic use mentioned aboved

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
------- Enough for the OS and storage of a few hundred mp3s

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
-------- Not really

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
-------- A year or more

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
--------- Not needed

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
-------- No preference

13. What country do you live in?
-------- UK

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
-------- I think that is all

totaljonahjames

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
If you NEED windows than i recommend going into walmart and looking for the cheapest laptop from a company you know,
ChromeOS is nice, but not my cup of tea,
I person don't recommend toshiba, as i had 2 horrible laptops that are in their deathbed, my laptop has severe Hardware damage, and the other laptop just didn't run well from the start.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I would not recommend a Chromebook because it does not support a lot of third party programs like Java and Silverlight, which many websites use.