Need Bio's Recovery Help for ASUS X75VD

voodoo917

Honorable
May 22, 2013
Hi Guys,

I hope someone here has some insight on this problem, I'm at a loss. I have a ASUS X75VD Laptop that I loaded Windows 10 on a few days ago. I don't think that Windows 10 had anything to do with the problem, just saying. After doing a clean install of Windows 10 Pro, I went into my Bios settings and was going to try running it with CSM turned off and Fast Boot Enabled. I changed and saved the settings and re-booted. That was the last time I saw anything on the screen. I have tried every Bios from ASUS site for my laptop using the CTRL+HOME, then powering on the laptop, trying to get it to start in Aptio recovery mode.

It lights up the USB stick, External HDD, etc... when you use the key combo, but it's not finding what it is looking for. I have found about a dozen different variations on what the Bios should be renamed to, to make it readable by the Aptio recovery, none of which have worked. I have read people's post that had the same problem with the same model laptop and they finally got Aptio to flash the Bios, but none of them said what they named the file, just that they got it to work.

ASUS has a rather arcane way of renaming the different Bios files for different Motherboards and I have yet to get one person who got it to work, to respond to my question as to what they renamed the Bios file that made Aptio recovery accept it. If anyone here has any ideas I am all ears! The laptop is obviously not dead or I seriously doubt it would be accepting key combination commands. Not to mention others describing almost the exact same scenario and getting theirs to accept a fresh Bios using Aptio. If you know of a way to solve this, please let me know, it is driving me insane! :(

Thank you,

Wesley Johnson

MarkW

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
You keep posting this. You are not getting responses because we do not know how to help you with that particular model.

I would highly suggest you go to the Asus website and ask in their forums.

voodoo917

Honorable
May 22, 2013
I posted it once on Tom's Guide and once on Tom's Hardware ...... I wasn't aware that posting a question once on two different sites qualified as "You keep posting this".

"I would highly suggest you go to the Asus website and ask in their forums."

I did and I would highly recommend that anyone looking for any viable information not bother going to ASUS website period. ASUS tech's won't answer any questions or offer any input, and the majority of people giving advice there are of the "Have you tried turning it off and then back on again" flavor.

"We do not know how to help"

Are you speaking for the entire forum? I didn't see your, "Speaks for The Entire Forum" Badge, but if that be the case I'll be happy to keep looking, i just thought posting about computer related problems and solutions was kinda the point of the forum.

terenz

Estimable
Aug 1, 2015
If you are getting a boot loop (goes to BIOS screen, tried to find a boot device, doesn't do anything except shut down and start up again, etc.), it happened to my Acer Aspire 5560 and looks like someone else's too.

I haven't found a solution yet. If you can find a method to reset CMOS on your laptop, do it. May be as easy as removing the CMOS battery if the CMOS is volatile RAM, or SOL if it is NVRAM.

Technical Preview seems to have similarly bricked some other desktop MBs.

voodoo917

Honorable
May 22, 2013
It never goes to the bios screen, there is no bios screen, anymore. It just sit's there and runs through caps lock and all that, then it just sits until it heats up enough to kick the fan on low. It will search all your attached drives if you hold down the CTRL+HOME keys while powering it on. I've already taken it apart down to stripping the motherboard of everything, cleaning it, re-applying thermal paste, left the CMOS battery out over night...... Same outcome, NVRAM I suppose.

The thing is, I have already followed threads that were 4-6 pages deep, about either the exact same model as mine or an ASUS that's in about the same class hardware wise as mine and they have gotten them going again.

The laptop I have is identical to the one I followed in a thread where the guy ended up getting the bios to flash with CTRL+HOME and the APTIO Recovery mode screen, which he said read "Crisis Recovery" on the laptop screen.

He didn't give a lot of info after that and it seemed to boil down to what you renamed the bios for APTIO Recovery, which he never said and the thread is a couple of years old now.

All I did was change a setting in the bios, not flash the wrong bios or anything like that. There is absolutely no justifiable reason for that to brick the bios, at all. Make it throw an error and bring up the bios setup, yes, but to render it disabled, that should never happen. It seems to be a huge problem with ASUS bios's in particular, which I didn't know when I started diddling with the bios. From what I have gathered so far, it has something to do with secure boot, fast boot, CSM, UEFI and intel virtualization technology.

voodoo917

Honorable
May 22, 2013
No, it's not looping at all. It turns on "normally", as if it's about to go to the bios screen and runs through the normal lighting up of the LEDS in the front, then drops back to just the power light, until the fan kicks in when it starts getting warm.

It's not Windows 10, I'd bet about anything on that. I had already re-started it a number of times and updated drivers and such without a hiccup, until I turned off CSM and enabled fastboot in the bios. As soon as it restarted, it was as it sits now........ dead.

I have taken out the HDD's, Wi-Fi and Memory Stick I added, 8gb Corsair Vengeance, as advised by ASUS support. The PC has 4GB RAM built onto the board. So it can't read anything but the USB stick I'm putting in it.

It's not a problem with the video drivers, I've hooked it to an external monitor.

It's not that it's turned itself down as dim as it will go, which I have heard from a hundred people.

It is "alive" so to speak. It still recognize's emergency key combinations like CTRL+HOME while booting, which is AMI's bios fail-safe in case of catastrophic failure, it can be restored with just a flash drive that holds the CORRECTLY NAMED BIOS file on it.

If I could find out what the other people who got it to work renamed there bios file and which version of it they used, I'm almost positive it would work. Every forum I have found that had someone that got it to work, it was all a matter of the file name and they were all so damn happy that they got their's running that that's about all they said; " Finally figured it out, thanks for the help!", or something such as that and then gone.... without any explanation as to how!