SweetGift77

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
I am DIRE need of help with my Toshiba Chromebook.

The issue is Chrome OS related. So, I contacted Google Chrome support. I chatted, LIVE, with a support rep., for a REALLY LONG time, only to say (in-the-end) that it was a HARDWARE issue and to contact Toshiba, directly.

I have been "attempting: to do so, for the last hour!!! They do not seem to have a Live Chat option, which is what I need.

I accidentally clicked the button to switch my Chrome OS channel from: STABLE to BETA. It wasn't until after I made the switch that I saw a notice RE: Loss of local data when switching channels....OH NO! I cannot lose my local data.

So, I have NOT completed the final step, in switching channels. I would need to RESTART my computer for the changes to take effect. I did NOT do that, in the hope of - finding a way to reverse my mistake.

I have a ton of school work, medical info (I'm disabled) and personal data that I simply cannot lose. Chrome support, LITERALLY, took 2 hours (on a chat with me) all-the-while, acting as if she could resolve the issue. Only to direct me to Toshiba, as I already stated, and they were NO HELP.

Please, someone, can you help me??

Desperately Yours,
Christine M. Mills

Solution
Chrome OS is probably the only major operating system I have never used. So will be learning right along with you!
This will be good to learn anyway since you will want to have backups of your important stuff anyway.

Let me see if I can dig up a guide on how to backup your data to USB.

SweetGift77

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016

Ooh, YES it's usable. I'm using it right now. Some websites are loading a little "wanky" not sure why, but...
I never restarted my computer to solidify my change from stable to BETA. I was hoping (because I have yet to complete that step) that getting back to stable would be an easy fix. I mean, I am not "truly" on BETA right now. I think I'm stuck between channels, if that's even possible.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling...I've been pretty stressed dealing with this issue for the past 6 hours, to NO avail. Yet, you, BadAsAl, may have just given me a solution!

Ok, I have a flash drive I can insert into a USB port on the chromebook. However, I've always been a Windows girl, prior to purchasing this. So, forgive me if I sound like an idiot, but...
Can you walk me through the steps, I will need to take, after inserting the flash drive...Pretty please (with Sugar-On-Top - haha)???

You would, quite literally, be Saving My Life if you can do that for me!

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Chrome OS is probably the only major operating system I have never used. So will be learning right along with you!
This will be good to learn anyway since you will want to have backups of your important stuff anyway.

Let me see if I can dig up a guide on how to backup your data to USB.

Solution

SweetGift77

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016

Aww....that would be, Fantabulous! Thank you!!

SweetGift77

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016

I do see them...Quick question, though (before I forget!) I understand I can load the files onto the USB drive. However, what about all of my bookmarks (I have SOOO Many, haha) will those also, load onto the drive? Or, am I screwed there? (Please say no!)

OH....EVEN MORE Important than, the bookmarks - Will I be able to retain my "Saved Passwords?" I seriously, look up at least 5-10 per day because I have a TON of accounts the require passwords so, I cannot, possibly: Keep them all, In-My-Head!

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Ok, so by default Chrome OS stores everything in the cloud so that is why your files are there and this is a good thing! You can make it store things locally but if you didn't do that then the Google Drive is where everything is and it serves as your backup.

And from what I am reading it saves the bookmarks and passwords to your Google Account as well. You can read about the passwords here: https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/95606?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

You might be able to see your stored passwords by going here: chrome://settings/passwords
You can copy and paste it into Chrome browser if the link doesn't work. Then for each one you click on it and then Show to see the passwords. But if all of them are here then they are definitely being stored in your Google Account and will not get deleted.

So what I recommend at this point is to try and go back in to where you set it to go to the BETA channel and change it back, then restart.