Need for more RAM?

kabeer

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Hello,
I am currently running a laptop with i5 3rd gen, 4gb ram and a radeon 8750HD.
I am encountering problems such as while switching back between different applications, the laptop freezes and most of the time crashes, for eg. Switching to windows with csgo running 99% of the time windows crashes. My graphic card is capable of running high end games and my drives are also cleaned regularly. There are no virusesor malware that i know of, so could it be that i have less ram? I have a usable 3.87gb ram, should i get another 4gb stick? The model is dell inspiron 15r 5521. And yes if ram is the problem, then should i get a 8 gb stick to go along with the existing one?(because according to the manual it supports configs of 4,6,8,16 and not 12)
Thanking in advance!

Solution
Be careful about ram compatibility if you want more.
Go to a ram web site like Kingston or crucial and access their ram upgrade app.
Enter your make/model of laptop and you will get a list of supported compatible upgrades.

If you have not yet done so, consider replacing a slow 5400rpm hard drive with a ssd. It will transform your performance.
Buy a Samsung evo of sufficient capacity and use their free ssd migration aid to move your C drive to the ssd.

geofelt

Distinguished
Be careful about ram compatibility if you want more.
Go to a ram web site like Kingston or crucial and access their ram upgrade app.
Enter your make/model of laptop and you will get a list of supported compatible upgrades.

If you have not yet done so, consider replacing a slow 5400rpm hard drive with a ssd. It will transform your performance.
Buy a Samsung evo of sufficient capacity and use their free ssd migration aid to move your C drive to the ssd.

Solution

Uhmm you REALLY should reconsider that statement.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-8750M.87147.0.html

It is a low end card made to alleviate the graphics generation of the CPU for thinks like Youtube, Excel Spreadsheets, etc. that the i5 Integrated graphics were having issues with, not "for high end games". The link are real test numbers on per title and the settings.

kabeer

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012

Thank you!